No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id please for u. desert bowl  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id please for u. desert bowl
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
something from a very early and cold Sunday morning, which I am thinking is possibly Bagley or Davidson (Christine?).    This is what I call the 'oily green uranium', almost a sort of yellowish green.     As you can see, unlike some of the Davidson material where there is a slot headed screw attaching the base to the glass, this one has only a stub of glass which protrudes thru into the metal base and is held in place by a mastic/adhesive.     It glows beautifully and is not something I have seen before.    I really like the piece, and hope someone can tell me which factory and give a date guide -  although I assume around 1930 - 1940.     thanks for looking, Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: id please for u. desert bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
That *is* nice Paul, and not something I've seen before. It puts me in mind of the petals vases which are somewhere on the board, but not close enough I suspect.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
S. Reich I believe and a sugar bowl probably rather than a dessert bowl. I have some bits in this pattern and I'll post pix later, if i have any

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
thank you for the identification  -  am sure you are more correct with the 'sugar' description than my thoughts of a dessert bowl.     Look forward to seeing any pics. if you do have them.     I have been thru Pamela's images, although was unable to see this particular piece.          Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
however, think I now see the design, which occurs in two pieces  -  one a box and the other a vase.     As you say, S. Reich.    Paul S. 

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Hi Paul
Yes definately S Reich (c1936) but I was a bit thrown seeing the chrome mount as I dont recal seeing any Reich items mounted like this.  After trolling through my reference paperwork I can confirm this was originnaly a two piece item, the lid looking something similar to the base and the complete thing looking something like a cabbage (not like the ones done by Portieux I hasten to add).  Looks like someone has done a marriage with a chrome base, maybe the lid was broken....that said id rather have it on my table than a modern one.
UKGLASS

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
thanks for your comments UKGLASS.     I did in fact go back to Pamela's site as a result of Christine's comments, and found what I believe is the design on something that Pamela calls a 'box'.    This is a free standing (no plinth or metal base) piece, which has a lid in cabbage rose type design (the body of the piece showing just the outer petals as in a rose bud).    As for my 'sugar' I am convinced it was made originally as you now see it  -  and if Christine is correct, then of course it wud never have had a lid  -  from memory it doesn't have any lip or rim as you might expect in a lidded piece.    However, maybe we need to think more about this one, but I do think it is quite genuine the way it looks.   Agree with you that it is a very nice piece tho  -  cost me 75p. :)     Paul S.

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi Again Paul
Scan attached from Reichs catalogue, hope its of some help
UK GLASS

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »
There's a whole range of stuff in this pattern. I think I've seen a pink one on a chrome stand (and it's not an uncommon form; I saw a Walther piece done in the same way at the weekend). I have two violet vases, or maybe egg cups: one in the lovely Reich uranium jade and one in frosted and matt green uranium. I also have a grapefruit dish in jade, which has a lovely row of roses on the outside of the upturn of the saucer. The grapefruit can just be seen in the pic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
my sincere thanks to both of you for your help - where wud we be withough people prepared to share their knowledge and expertise.    Anyway, I must look out for some more pieces in this design.   Wud just comment that the mastic must have been a quality product to have lasted this long.   Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand