Author Topic: id please for u. desert bowl  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id please for u. desert bowl
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
something from a very early and cold Sunday morning, which I am thinking is possibly Bagley or Davidson (Christine?).    This is what I call the 'oily green uranium', almost a sort of yellowish green.     As you can see, unlike some of the Davidson material where there is a slot headed screw attaching the base to the glass, this one has only a stub of glass which protrudes thru into the metal base and is held in place by a mastic/adhesive.     It glows beautifully and is not something I have seen before.    I really like the piece, and hope someone can tell me which factory and give a date guide -  although I assume around 1930 - 1940.     thanks for looking, Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Re: id please for u. desert bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
That *is* nice Paul, and not something I've seen before. It puts me in mind of the petals vases which are somewhere on the board, but not close enough I suspect.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
S. Reich I believe and a sugar bowl probably rather than a dessert bowl. I have some bits in this pattern and I'll post pix later, if i have any

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
thank you for the identification  -  am sure you are more correct with the 'sugar' description than my thoughts of a dessert bowl.     Look forward to seeing any pics. if you do have them.     I have been thru Pamela's images, although was unable to see this particular piece.          Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
however, think I now see the design, which occurs in two pieces  -  one a box and the other a vase.     As you say, S. Reich.    Paul S. 

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Hi Paul
Yes definately S Reich (c1936) but I was a bit thrown seeing the chrome mount as I dont recal seeing any Reich items mounted like this.  After trolling through my reference paperwork I can confirm this was originnaly a two piece item, the lid looking something similar to the base and the complete thing looking something like a cabbage (not like the ones done by Portieux I hasten to add).  Looks like someone has done a marriage with a chrome base, maybe the lid was broken....that said id rather have it on my table than a modern one.
UKGLASS

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
thanks for your comments UKGLASS.     I did in fact go back to Pamela's site as a result of Christine's comments, and found what I believe is the design on something that Pamela calls a 'box'.    This is a free standing (no plinth or metal base) piece, which has a lid in cabbage rose type design (the body of the piece showing just the outer petals as in a rose bud).    As for my 'sugar' I am convinced it was made originally as you now see it  -  and if Christine is correct, then of course it wud never have had a lid  -  from memory it doesn't have any lip or rim as you might expect in a lidded piece.    However, maybe we need to think more about this one, but I do think it is quite genuine the way it looks.   Agree with you that it is a very nice piece tho  -  cost me 75p. :)     Paul S.

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi Again Paul
Scan attached from Reichs catalogue, hope its of some help
UK GLASS

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »
There's a whole range of stuff in this pattern. I think I've seen a pink one on a chrome stand (and it's not an uncommon form; I saw a Walther piece done in the same way at the weekend). I have two violet vases, or maybe egg cups: one in the lovely Reich uranium jade and one in frosted and matt green uranium. I also have a grapefruit dish in jade, which has a lovely row of roses on the outside of the upturn of the saucer. The grapefruit can just be seen in the pic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
my sincere thanks to both of you for your help - where wud we be withough people prepared to share their knowledge and expertise.    Anyway, I must look out for some more pieces in this design.   Wud just comment that the mastic must have been a quality product to have lasted this long.   Paul S.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com