No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thick bowl in amber white and pink  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Aircooled

• Members
Thick bowl in amber white and pink
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
I have had this dish for many years now, but only searched to find out more about it today. I believe I found the designer. But my question is...is there a way to tell how rare, or desirable one is by the colors...or?
Thanks Pros'.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: yet another bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »
Not sure, but might it be Barbini (guess)?  TxSilver will know much better than I.....
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
I'm afraid I can't add anymore to what you said, Antiquerose. The label looks like it might be a remnant of a generic sticker, so it may be difficult to attribute. The form and colors do make me think of Barbini. I also think of Fratelli Toso. It's a pretty bowl -- love the colors.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
Yeah - that what I was thinking too TxSilver...
Aircooled - Is it possible to get a closer pic of the label?  Thanks
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Aircooled

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:00:24 PM »
Thanks all. Yeah, the label was the red with silver, said something something glass over the top, and then just Murano in the middle. I found it this morning I'l try to find it again, while my batteries are charging.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
With my Moderator hat on, I have moved the image of this bowl's label to here from another thread that aircooled has posted. I have also changed the title of this thread to be a little more specific.
KevinH

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Thick bowl in amber white and pink
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:10 AM »
Hi Aircooled:

The label could be this one http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=87
which is a generic Murano label, that is a label that can't be attributed to a single company. If it were Barbini or Fratelli Toso it would at some point had one their labels on.

Are certain colours worth more than others? Perhaps, but colours are so personal. It's not a piece that you could attribute to a specific designer, imho, as many companies produced very similar pieces.

You could check completed sales on eBay for this style and colour. to get a sense of rarity and value on eBay. Also have a look at soem of the Internet sites that sell Murano to see if they have a similar piece. The prices will be much higher there.

I'll add that I don't intend to sound negative about the piece. I've got a few very similar pieces that I really enjoy. Part of the enjoyment is having a production piece of a functional object that has some real artistic appeal.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Aircooled

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »
Hey, thank you so much. Nice to learn something about them and future ones. I appreciate your time.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 05:17:39 AM »
There's one which looks to be the same shape but with a white inside, in Judith Miller's book 20th Century Glass, which is attributed there to Tomasso Buzzi, c.1940. Might be an avenue to explore...?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
Anne:

There are a couple of differences: the three folds in Buzzi's and the four in aircooled's, and the gold fold foll in Buzzi's and the amber casing in the other. I'd love to know why Miller thought this was by Buzzi. The gold foil is part of his style, but he's not known for his ashtrays. I still think it could be a by a number of makers and it would be impossible to pin down one.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand