No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thick bowl in amber white and pink  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Thick bowl in amber white and pink
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
Presumably that's what the auction house / dealer told them David. :) There is an image code linking to Auktionhaus Bergmann in Germany if that helps?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
Anne:

Thanks for the explanation on the Buzzi attribution. The obvious evaded me there.  It's still an interesting attribution. Buzzi was primarily an architect, designer, and artist from Milan with the Gio Ponti group. He was artistic director of, and a designer for, Venini 1932-4, his only two years designing glass. This isn't a 30's Venini-like ashtray.  I would also expect the piece to be marked if it were Venini. And why attribute it to a designer without naming a maker? I suspect the attribution comes from the gold foil. I don't mean to be argumentative, Anne. I think I'm reacting to many listings on eBay a couple of years ago when Buzzi was used like Scarpa, some ridiculous attributions.

Aircooled: Sorry for hijacking the thread there. If you want to look for makers, I agree with Anita and Antiquerose that Barbini and Fratelli Toso are more likely, and from the 50's and 60's.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:31 AM »
David, I don't mind at all.  :kissy:  I know precious little about Murano Glass so should probably keep quiet in here anyhow.  :24: It just struck me as similar enough to flag up even if it lets Buzzi be discounted. Sometimes the process of elimination helps.  :-[
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Aircooled

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »
I actually found a Buzzi one exactly the same, let me find the link again. thank you both

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:48:26 AM »
I agree with David that it does not look Buzzi. The last few years of Buzzi's glass career (after leaving Venini and before WWII) are a mystery to me, so he may have done some things I don't know about. However, this bowl is unlike any of his things I do know about. The pieces that Buzzi is known for are all about the surface, which was not heavily cased in clear glass. He was not overly prolific in his designs. From what is written, he didn't fit in with Venini or Murano very well, so was not around for very long. You can see some examples of his designs in the Marina Barovier gallery at http://www.barovier.it/novecento/novecento_frameset.htm. There are others in Olnick-Spanu collection at http://www.olnickspanu.com/Collection.html.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
I found a little more on Buzzi at www.archimagazine.com/bbuzzi.htm. It has to be translated from Italian, but it indicates that Buzzi didn't have time for pursuits in glass after he left Venini. I wonder if it was hard to work at Venini. Many of the people who worked for them seem to have been less than happy, though things were rarely written outright.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi & welcome aircooled! Car fanatic as well? I have a similar shaped bowl like yours as well...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31185.0.html

Interestingly yours has such a dark inner layer with the 'Generic' (forgive my name on the label) Murano label. You inner layer seems to affect the outside amber layer. Could this be the reason why it may have been exported with that label? Just a thought! The other two layers (white & amber) look good. Does the rim feel like three layers or is it completely smooth?

Offline Aircooled

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:09 AM »
not sure? it feels like one. at no point all the way around can you feel any difference in texture. a long time ago, my brother peeled one of the labels of one of them, I can not remember, but it could have got put on this one by mistake? I do not remember ever having onethat had a label on the bottom now that i think about it? I just remember being angry that he had taken it off.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
I notice on mine that you can feel the amber layer against the white, but not really on the yellow and white layer. You should ask your brother, and hopefully he will remember, which bowl he put the sticker on. Would hopefully help in ruling out the label to the bowl.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand