Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

One for KevH - Venetian Scents & Murrine

(1/3) > >>

johnphilip:
Hi Kev checkout item 180465641516 on ebay , scent bottle completely knackered sold £500 plus , i believe because of a few early unusul canes in it , sold about a week ago .  I know canes are your fetish . JP :thup:

KevinH:
Hi John.

Yes, canes are one of my fascinations - but the 19th century Venetian portrait ones are really "just an interest" to me. I leave those to the real experts on such matters, such as our very own GMB member "jamalpa" (who also got into Ysart weights long before me when even signed ones could be bought for around Uk£40!!).

But yes, I assume it was the canes in that bottle that drew the high bid.

jamalpa36:
Hi John

As I got a mention in Kev's reply I thought I would add my two pennyworth.

This bottle was made by an unknown maker around 1881.

The murrini in it, were not rare and in the main were not the best quality.

The lion of st marks reading the book is one of the more complex.

A few years ago one lady dealer used to price her bottles at £100 per face and this bottle had 9 faces or part faces.

The Americans have always charged more for their bottles.

The damage however should have reduced the value of this bottle by quite a lot

I missed this offering but would certainly have dropped out at before £200 with that amount of damage.

These bottles are quite rare with faces and I have only managed to buy 30 in the last twenty or so years.

£300-500 is the norm for a good example

If you find an earlier example c1840 by Franchini you must expect to pay > £1000

Roy

johnphilip:
Thanks Roy, i knew a little bit about these bottles as i have two , but no canes unfortunately although they are in great condition , i bet i would only get a fraction of that money .  I sent the thread to Kevin but it was meant for all the weighties on the forum ~ i also thought the canes were a bit naff ...! but Knowledge is Power and you have just increased my knowledge . Many thanks JP    :thup:

jamalpa36:
Hi John

Glad to have been of some assistance.

You're right in that the bottles without faces or canes, some only have a few canes and no faces, sell for a lot less. I have seen them sell for about £100 but I bought one for £30. The nicest ones have faces of Popes, members of the Austro-Hungarian royalty and early Italians such as Garribaldi. As well as faces you also get the The Rialto Bridge and some Birds.

I attach, I hope the first bottle I ever found in Portobello Road.

Roy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version