No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signature help please: Clear perfume bottle - ID = Eric White  (Read 9040 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: signature help please: Clear perfume bottle
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
Hi
I had a look through for this when you posted and didn't find anything  - I read it as Gil White or Eric? White - and just noted what fabulous handwriting.  Even done on glass which must be very hard, it's a beautiful script.
I'll keep looking.
m
Just wondering - if it's that small and that light, is this like lampworked glass?

Offline Liz Morton

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
The signature is Eric White. He created hand blown studio glass from a workshop I believe in Esher. There are three pieces displayed in the V & A. I have 17 beautiful pieces but have strangely never managed to find anything about him on the web. Would welcome any further information.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
Oh thank you so much! I wonder why there is no information about him anywhere?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
Just a bit of extra info to the thread, the V& A have a glass perfume bottle Eric White dated 1980 and it says lampworked.
and just found this on ebay  apparently a Queens Jubilee perfume signed Eric White, shape of a crown, has it's own certificate of authentication signed Eric White and comes in a hard cardboard presentation box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERIC-WHITE-Ltd-Edition-Silver-Jubilee-Perfume-Bottle-/150540335011

Offline Liz Morton

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
I have the same piece. I have a flyer with photo's of his work and a little bit about him but I've never been able to see any other info in books or online. the lady I purchased from originally said that perfume bottles had been commissioned for Princess Diana & Nancy Reagan, but I don't know if this is true. I can forward you a copy of my info if you would like. Regards

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »
could you take a copy and email it to me? I would be interested to see it, thank you

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
thank you so much Liz, that is brilliant! there he is in all his delicate glory :)

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: signature help please: Clear perfume bottle - ID = Eric White
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
Just for the record, here are a couple of pictures of the Silver Jubilee PB. It is signed "Eric White 142/500 1978". I would love to know more about Eric if anyone can provide it. Thanks.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline Liz Morton

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 06:29:55 PM »
I have some information on Eric White and I attach a flyer which illustrates his work and gives some info. The V&A purchased 3 bottles in 1980 one of which is a crown, two of the bottles remain on display in the glass section. The silver jubilee crowns were in several different designs, there was a limited edition of 500 of each design.

According to information in the bottle boxes Eric White was born in 1925, lectured in glass at Isleworth and had a studio at Hampton Court/Esher. Unfortunately there seems to be no information on him anywhere on the internet.

Liz

Offline Tcapelos

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »
Hi. I was looking online for some of Eric White's bottles because my kids were asking what these bottles looked like. We live in Eric's house in West Molesey, Surrey, right by Hurst Park. We bought the house after Eric died in 2013. He used to have his workshop in a small bedroom upstairs and the hole from his extractor is visible at the ceiling. Our neighbours who were friends with Eric tell us his designs were very beautiful. It was lovely to read your post, and i thought you might like to know the place were these lovely creations were made. If I find any more information, i will share it here. Best regards, Tereza

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand