No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: TWO GREEN DECANTERS  (Read 1549 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
TWO GREEN DECANTERS
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Hi ,can you ID this pair of green decanters.They stand 7.75 inches tall and 5.50 inches wide and 3.75 inches wide.
They have a white Lilly of the valley design with gold leaves.The handle is a fluted design and the stoppers are missing.The pontil is rough

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
Re: TWO GREEN DECANTERS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
Hello there
These appear to be Victorian jugs/decanters.  Lilly of the valley was a favorite design for the victorians. Could be British made or equally continental imports but would date from the 1880's. Looking at the pics it looks as though the design is only on one side and if this is the case it would make these a pair as the design is on opposing sides.
With regards to the stoppers, is there evidence (wear) inside the neck to indicate there were stoppers at some time. If there is no wear then I suggest there never were any stoppers and they were designed as water jugs.
Hope this helps
UK GLASS

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
Hi ,many thanks for your input , yes the flower design is on one side of each jug and there is a matt wear mark as though stoppers were there at some time.

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
Hi ukglass, after some searching/reading i found the same glass decanters in MILLERS GLASS buyers guide 2001.  It shows the decanter with a stopper. As i want to them to be as original as possible any ideas where i can get the stoppers made or purchased from.
Many thanks

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Hi again
I honestly think your best chance is to take one of them with you and visit some decent sized antique fairs, there are usually lots of stall selling odd stoppers and you can pick them up quite reasonable. Not sure what the originals look like but I wouldnt have a clue as to where you can get them made, others on the board may offer some suggestions.
UK GLASS

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »
Hi thanks for the pointer. The 2001 millers glass shows the picture of the stopper design which i can get a good idea of shape form.
Many thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand