No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: tutti frutti  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
tutti frutti
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:44:27 PM »
http://www.stylehive.com/tag/tutti_frutti

Can anyone confirm that Tutti Frutti was produced by Fratelli Toso as outlined in the above link?

Which brings the next question:
who else?

and
How can you tell?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: tutti frutti
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
 ;D

Again we have Dino Martens designing tutti frutti, and this time we even have him designing for AVeM in the 1940s. I wrote Marc Heiremans, a Martens expert, last year to ask if Dino had designed these type pieces. His answer was no.

I have a hard time telling the tutti frutti bowls from each other. Some that I "knew" were made by AVeM turned out to be made by Ferro Italarts, Fratelli Toso, JI Co, or other places. The seller in this case attributed the clam shaped bowl to F. Toso, but said the label once read Ferro Italarts. So if they are indeed a matched set, I would say Ferro.

If I did not know anything about tutti frutti, I would have certainly been convinced.  Fratelli Toso did do some bowls that looked very much like these two, but I wouldn't be surprised if almost every company made "end of day" pieces that looked like them. I am surprised, though, that the seller would read Ferro and translate it to Fratelli Toso, maybe because one of the Vittorio Ferros worked for Toso.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Thanks for clearing the air Anita.  :hiclp:

tam bam

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
Thank you Anita! So - maybe we should just call them all "generic tutti-fruttis" without trying to attribute them - it seems to be a permanent problem..

Here is why I asked. This first one (acquired today)  is based on light amethyst glass, so it has some transparency. I had never seen that before, but the feel is right. Correct bottom finish, and soft scratch to indicate some age.

Number 2 is allegedly AVEM

Number 3 has been called Toso, nt sure if that is correct

and number 4 is 95% certain a Chinese copy

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
Generic tutti frutti is probably a good idea, Ivo. Or maybe just Murano tutti frutti. Sometimes the word generic can send dreams and values plummeting.  :-\ Your number 2 bowl strikes me more as Fratelli Toso -- the latticino and the pink twists were favored by them -- but it is just an opinion. For bowls 1&3 I have no clue. I agree that the last vase could be Chinese. I've not seen the AVeM vases with so thick of a casing before. A little more clear glass, it would have been sommerso.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand