No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Fiesta' plate I can't find  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
'Fiesta' plate I can't find
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
something from lunchtime today which I can't see in David Encill's book, in the Fiesta range.    The label looks as tho it might be very latish in date, and I really have looked carefully but don't see this design.    Grateful for any help please, and as always my thanks for looking.     Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: 'Fiesta' plate I can't find
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:19 AM »
David's book only has a one-page summary of Fiesta. It was never meant to be comprehensive. That certainly has to be one of their nicer designs though

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
thanks for your reply, and suppose I was hoping it might have been a rare one!     I do agree that it is an appealing and artistic design  -  and how is the 'editor' progressing with the supplement, by the way.    Might we see this supplement soon?? :)     

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
It might be a rare Fiesta Glass (not Chance) one. I've never seen it before. It's progressing apparently but not in my paws yet for editing.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
The problem with the Fiesta Glass (Ltd) range is that it did evolve quite quickly, from one pattern to another. Successful patterns might have carried on for several years, others could be dropped quite quickly. It must also be appreciated, that all of the later patterns were transfer-printed, and generically produced for many other companies.

All the exclusive patterns solely designed and developed by Chance; Swirl, Calypto, Green Leaves, Night Sky, Psychedelic, Carré, etc. - ones that are predominantly collectable - were stopped from the mid-1970s. Sights of London, Series 2 (c.1976, assuming that this range was commissioned by Chance) was probably the last, and still being produced with Fiesta labels, so post-1981. That is not so surprising, as Fiesta Glass inherited a great number of transfers and were merely using up existing stock.

Chance Expressions was also intended to cover the glass made by Chance Brothers, but it would have been remiss not to have a passing nod to it's legacy: Fiesta Glass and Joseph Joseph. But it was never intended to cover those subject matters in great detail: I'll leave someone else to write that particular sequel in 2020 when it's all approaching 'vintage' status  :24:

Conclusion: Anything produced by Fiesta could be scarce, but I doubt that makes it any more collectable, to be honest.

David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
my thanks David for your thoughtful and interesting reply.    Forgive my occasional lapse into the rather immediate and brief post -  unlike yourself I am simply a collector, dirven mostly by rarity and desireablity, but I am image conscious, and do have an eye for the beautiful  -  and I like this particular piece.  What makes a piece collectable is not always easily definable.    Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand