No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness decanter  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Caithness decanter
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
Anyone know who is the designer of this Glenmorangie Elegance decanter? It was made in a limited edition (700 or so) at Caithness and takes the shape of a still.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Caithness decanter
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
Is it dated?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
There is no date - but there is some information available which suggests it is relatively recent - even if the whisky itself is not. The decanter was made at the Wick factory.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/306236/Twelve-Outrageous-and-Unique-Scotch-Whiskies

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
Have asked

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »
From what I undestand (from the whisky collectors fraternity) this was produced in 1979 and is no longer available.  The decanter was modelled on the old stills used at the distillery so I wonder if it would actually need a designer as such, perhaps makers at Caithness were able to work it out themselves from drawings of the old stills.......just a thought.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
that would put it at least 20 years before my subjective estimate. Interesting!

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
This excerpt is taken from a blog about whisky. They are as passionate about the contents as we are about the glass surrounding it....funny old world

1979 Glenmorangie Elegance is a 21-Year Old malt whiskey, one of the oldest malts to be released from the Glenmorangie Distillery. It has a complex mixture of smoke, sandalwood and mulled wine underlined with traces of oranges, nuts, and marzipan. Available only in this package, the unique decanter is hand-blown by Scotland's leading glassmakers, Caithness Glass in Wick, to replicate Glenmorangie's famous swan-necked pot stills at its distillery.
UKGLASS

Mod: Please try to make sure that all quoted text is clearly indicated as such, preferably by using the BB Code "Quote" facility as now added, rather just quote marks. Could also have included a link to the Blog if publicly accessible.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »
According to one of their designers 2000/1 and probably by one of Distiller's appointed designer. Asking a second.

Whisky 'name' may have been introduced in '79 but not that bottle. Always beware of a brand name as a dating guide for containers. Personally I consider most of Distillers products to be not too hot  :cheers: it is disturbing how many names are churned out of one factory today... note I do not use the word distillery  ^-^

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »
I am sure it is identical - but the stopper is packed separately in the original box so it might look different.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
However, there was a previous version of this decanter, smaller and machine made but nowt to do with CG. Should have final date for CG version soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand