No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blenko or tat?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:07:25 PM »
Okay, it's a non-fault.  :?  :)

The same non-fault can be seen at the bottom of this Whitefriars jug.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20870.jpg

Well done Ivo!

Gather round, Gather round, post all your ruby glass pictures on this Topic.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 11:32:57 AM »
So can Adam D. (or A. N. Other) tell us which chemical combination causes said non-fault?  :?
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 11:51:28 AM »
Red is one of those colours that is very temeprature sensitive and the change is usually towards orange and yellow would be an extreme example.

So technically it is a fault.

Very common problem in Monart reds, where the survival of purish red is quite a rarity.

Offline Leni

• Members
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 12:06:49 PM »
Fault, schmault, I like it!  :twisted:

But I'm interested in this question: Can we really say the red / amber colour combination is definitely 'a fault' unless we know for a fact that the maker / designer did not intend it to change colour in that way?   :?

I'm thinking particularly of my Scandi (is it Tamara Aladin) vase, where the 'amber' colour shows more clearly in the fullest part of the curve, and the rim  and base are more red.  Surely if it were a heat affected colour change the 'yellowing' of the red glass would be more obvious at the rim?  Or am I on the wrong track?  (Probably!   :oops:  I am famous for it, after all!  :roll: )
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »
It can show anywhere

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
I've got no first hand experience of gold rubies/cranberry manufacture.  However the selenium types (note plural) most certainly have striking characteristics.  Some blow types, I believe, are straw colour after blowing and only strike to ruby in the lehr.  Note that, in my experience it is always straw > ruby, not the other way round although, of course, if cullet is remelted then we start again.

Generally a thin edge may not strike fully to ruby.  That can be a fault or deliberate.  In the distant past (i.e. my time), before plastics took over the job, vehicle rear light glasses often had straw coloured rims, which did not matter because they were covered by the fitting.  In the early days of amber flashers we made an experimental piece shaped like a poached egg.  The middle bit struck to ruby and the outside was amber - two for the price of one!  It could never have gone into production as, apart from the practical difficulties, there was no hope of matching the official amber ("signal yellow", i.e. orange).

If one makes a ruby art glass article which turns out to have a yellowish edge I think a good spin doctor could sell it as deliberate!  I understand Scrubbs' Cloudy Ammonia (which your grandmother might remember) started that way.

Adam D.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 06:48:45 PM »
Certainly the later Kügler red used in Monart. No idea wether it was too hot or too cool. I have seen examples in every step from completely red to almost completely orange. Also with the same effect showing up in different parts of the same piece. In some cases the individual grains of colour show the change only partly which proves it was one colour to start with. Not really a ruby red though. However, I was told that the enamel was not red to start with and became red after marvering and reheating.

Interestingly the red used on early surface decorated pieces was different and not used much in clear cased pieces, presumably as it lost intensity and has a slightly smokey look.

I expect that there is some difference between that type of marvered colouring and coloured batch.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 04:18:16 AM »
Quote from: Tigerchips
Gather round, Gather round, post all your ruby glass pictures on this Topic.  :lol:

My only ruby glassware are these three vases - all Anchor Hocking...
   http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-147
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 11:29:03 AM »
Anne, I've had one of them. I showed it to someone and she just said it was a Pyrex maker. These ruby vases (as far as I know) are not worth a great deal but If only she knew how much Pyrex sells for on Ebay!

link 1
link 2

link 3
I'm speechless.  :shock:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Blenko or tat?
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 01:25:59 AM »
The vases are worth small sums in monetary terms true, TC, but in other ways they are worth more to me. The taller of the two types of vase I have is the exact same one as my mother had when I was small and which I loved to look at for the fabulous deep rich red colour. She had (in fact still has) some of the AH ruby red goblets with the clear boopie feet which I also loved (and indeed still do). These are symbolic of my childhood and bring back happy memories.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand