No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riimihaen Lasi  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
I bought these recently and believe they are Riimihaen Lasi. [not Oy] They are perfect and have the remains of labels at the top. One just has the remains of glue!

The photos are not good but it is night and poor weather.

They seem to be candle holders and have the metal inserts.
They are yellow, just, verging on yellow brown.
I have discovered a little about Riimihaen Lasi.

'The Riihimaki Joint Stock Company was founded in Riihimaki, Finland, by M. A. Kolehmainen and H. G. Paloheimo in 1910 and renamed Riihimaen Lasi in 1937. Riihimaki manufactured household glass, container glass, crystal, window glass, and eyeglass lenses and was Finland’s largest glass factory in the 1920’s to the 1960’s. The company underwent modernization in 1927 to 1948 under the direction of Roope Kolihmainen. Riihimaki began a cooperative agreement with A. Ahlstrom in1961 and manual production of glass ended in 1976 when the company turned to mass production. Household glass was also produced in1977 by the newly founded Kotilasi unit. A. Ahlstrom bought Riihimaen Lasi in 1985 and in 1988 was merged with Karhula to form Ahlstrom Riihimaen Lasi Oy. Riihimaen Lasi closed in1990 and in 1995 Owens-Illinios, an American company, bought Karhu'

but I would be very grateful for any more information about these. I can't find anything similar from books or the Internet.

Yellow has always been my favourite colour, after primroses!
Regards Ruth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:19:26 AM »
Hello Ruth. No photos - well none that I can see, that is  :lol:

Riihimaki also made a superb range of very sought-after Carnival Glass.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:27:50 AM »
http://tinypic.com/fnxmo5.jpg

Good grief, leave it a week and lose the habit!!!
Thanks R.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »
But....they're upside down!  Are those metal 'plugs' a good fit Ruth?  I have a few of this style and wondered why they had an indentation at the base, is the base actually the top?  :shock:  :shock:
I am not a man

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »
Ruth, I'm not entirely sure of the veracity of some of the info you have there on Riihimaki. My understanding is that Karhula actually merged with Iittala (c 1915) >> later (c 1987) merging with Nuutarjarvi.

Glen

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:21:09 AM »
AH GOOD, here I am pondering the difference between Sterident and Pepsident and hoping I never have to have dentures, never mind that the boys cannot wash up, for glass all over the kitchen, full of frothy stuff.

I can believe that the info may be wrong in some respects  and would be pleased to be corrected.
I think they are the right way up, the metal bits fit fine. They don't look too classy that way with those in but they seem functional.  I 'm  more used to buying British glass but got adventurous by virtue of reading people's posts here and liking yellow.

'Riimihaki Lasi Oy' has been a torture to me for several weeks, like a song going round and round. However I don't think these are 'Oy'.

One of the labels, prior to washing, had a paw print at the top. The other was not a label, just a trace of glue.

That begs another question, when people buy glass which is filthy but has a label, what do they do to protect the label while they clean the glass???

Oh well, they could be another Chimera.
Regards Ruth

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »
Ruth, is the "paw" from the Hame Lynx? You may like to view this "back" thread.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1281.0.html

The photos of the museum on the link Frank gives are very good (but a disappointment to me as they don't show the Carnival - for anyone who wants to see Riihimaki Carnival in the museum you can click on my webpage and choose "Remarkable Riihimaki" from the left hand menu).

Glen

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 09:55:42 AM »
Good links, my searching did not find these!
But no, it was an oblong label clear, with a paw print and underneath it had Riimihaen
LASI
Just like that, if I remember correctly.
Ruth

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
Sounds like the right label for Riihimaen Lasi.  It's a (I think) lion's paw, and it will also have 'Made In Finland' at the base of the label.

I remember when I could pick these (and their much larger counterparts) up for about £3.  That was only about 2 years ago.  Now these 'hooped' vases (or candleholders) command a significantly greater price.  The red seems to be the most common colour and green and amber are scarcer.

Edit: There's someones personal website that shows this vase, it's been on the GMB several times.  I can't find it as my AOL has been deleted with all my favourites <sigh>  Perhaps someone can link Ruth to it?
I am not a man

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 12:58:17 PM »
Ruth you seem to be in some confusion
However I don't think these are 'Oy'.
Oy just means "limited company" or similar equivalent in whatever country
Nad Lasi just means Glass
Its as simple as that.

Max
I think this is the site you're ref to: