No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riimihaen Lasi  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »
Thanks for finding that site Peter  :D I was quite annoyed I'd lost it! xx

On the subject of Riihimaen Lasi Oy, I think Ruth's found something I had overlooked previously.  According to 'Smoke & Ice', this company was called Riihimaen Lasi until 1988 when it was merged with Karhula, forming Ahlstrom Riihimaen Lasi Oy.  As the book says 'Riihimaen Lasi closed in 1990', perhaps it kept going as an independent unit also.

Should the correct attribution be Riihimaen Lasi (no Oy) before 1988 and only have the 'Oy' added post 1988?  :?:

I feel like I'm hair-splitting, but I'm confused.   :?  Have I misunderstood?
I am not a man

Offline tmaritta

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 08:42:11 PM »
Hi Max,

The company name was Riihimäen Lasi Oy well before 1988 - quick google in Finnish brought some reference to Riihimäen Lasi Oy from 1910.   Ahlström Riihimäen Lasi Oy changed its name to Karhulan Lasi Oy at some point.  Today Karhulan Lasi Oy produces packing material out of glass for medical, food and brewery industry according to one recent document I found on the web.  Karhulan Lasi Oy now belongs to Owens-Illinois, Inc.

According to book that I have, "Moderne Zeiten - Finnisches Glass 1929 -1999", Riihimäen Lasi ceased to produce studio glass (my translation for "in Handarbeit hergestelltem Glass") in 1976.  I would guess that the reference to Riihimäen Lasi ceasing its operations in early 90's probably is meant to indicate that the company stopped producing any kind of decorative glass then (but couldn't really find any conclusive evidence, i.e. no full history recount of Riihimäen Lasi).   I would also speculate that was when the name changed to ARL.

Regards,
TMaritta

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
TMaritta, I was hoping you'd see this thread.   :D  :D

Thank you very much for your help.  After a while, you don't easily believe anything you read on glass!  Perhaps Smoke & Ice could have been worded better, but I suppose that condensing a companys facts into a short paragraph was bound to cause some problems.

I think I'll tread carefully around the subject...the more you learn, the less you realise you know!    :x

What do you think of the little metal plugs in Ruth's initial photo?  I've never thought of having these vases (or perhaps candleholders) upside down - do you think that was the intention?

xxx Max
I am not a man

Offline tmaritta

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »
Quote from: "Max"

What do you think of the little metal plugs in Ruth's initial photo?  I've never thought of having these vases (or perhaps candleholders) upside down - do you think that was the intention?

I think the intention may have been that the object can be used both as a vase and a candle holder.   Quite clever, isn't it?  

TMaritta

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 03:18:46 AM »
Here is a comparision. One, one way up and the other, the other.
I'm very grateful for all the information and discussion.
One last point is that the label was placed such that it would be read downwards from the one on the right! That suggests that the labeller regarded the ' bowl' as going at the top. 

http://tinypic.com/fokpig.jpg Mod: Link dead

Cheers Ruth
 :?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 07:19:21 AM »
Quote from: "Glassyone"
Here is a comparision. One, one way up and the other, the other.
I'm very grateful for all the information and discussion.
One last point is that the label was placed such that it would be read downwards from the one on the right! That suggests that the labeller regarded the ' bowl' as going at the top.  

http://tinypic.com/fokpig.jpg

Cheers Ruth
 :?

Cheers Ruth, and yes, it is clever TMaritta.  :D  I've had this type of vase for years and never knew about the metal component.  I'll see them in a whole new light now!   :D
I am not a man

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 07:57:38 AM »
We will be trying candles!

'vaasina tai kynttiläjalkana', may mean 'vase or candle holder'.
Just a punt.
Ruth

Offline px

• Members
Re: Riimihaen Lasi
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 10:11:54 AM »
Hi Max,

The company name was Riihimäen Lasi Oy well before 1988 - quick google in Finnish brought some reference to Riihimäen Lasi Oy from 1910.   Ahlström Riihimäen Lasi Oy changed it's name to Karhulan Lasi Oy at some point.  Today Karhulan Lasi Oy produces packing material out of glass for medical, food and brewery industry according to one recent document I found on the web.  Karhulan Lasi Oy now belongs to Owens-Illinois, Inc.

According to book that I have, "Moderne Zeiten - Finnisches Glass 1929 -1999", Riihimäen Lasi ceased to produce studio glass (my translation for "in Handarbeit hergestelltem Glass") in 1976.  I would guess that the reference to Riihimäen Lasi ceasing its operations in early 90's probably is meant to indicate that the company stopped producing any kind of decorative glass then (but couldn't really find any conclusive evidence, i.e. no full history recount of Riihimäen Lasi).   I would also speculate that  was when the name changed to ARL.

Regards,
TMaritta

An old one but just in case someone (else) bumps in here I'll define:

"Osakeyhtiö Riihimäki" (shortened "Oy Riihimäki", in which the "Oy" stands for a Limited company or alike: "Ltd.") was founded in 1910
The name was changed to Riihimäen Lasi Oy in 1937. ( "the glass of Riihimäki Ltd." in English)
Hand made glass was no longer produced after 1976 and they continued with automated machine pressed glass as well as packaging glass and plastics.
The name was changed to Ahlström Riihimäen lasi Oy in 1989 just to arrange for the discontinuing of operation in 1990.
(Ahlström (company "A.Ahlström Oy") had acquired Riihimäen lasi's ownership in 1985.)

This was about company names. An other thing is the labels or marks they have used. In some they only print "Riihimäki" for short - that is the name of the city.

One shouldn't, however, get mixed up with another Riihimäki situated glass works ie. "Kumela Oy" that also had "Riihimäki" on their marks. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand