No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: One for the Mdina 'buffs'what is this?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: One for the Mdina 'buffs'what is this?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
 :band:

That's pretty crystal clear, Keith, and even more interesting than I thought it might be.
Thank you *so much* for these extra images!

I shall have to get a bit out tomorrow, and go over it with the proverbial "fine tooth comb", but that is obviously not the same texture as the cylinder vase, which was shortly post-Harris, I think. I may be wrong. Mark would know for sure.

This looks as if it's the same as the much bigger, much more deeply textured bark pieces made during the Harris period - his design.

The cylinder texture looks as if it's been produced by repeatedly stamping a sort of rough lozengy shaped thing into the original thing the mould was cast from.
This is much more like the very real, very rough, bark texture which was used for the huge semi-cased bottles..
I'll report back tomorrow!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
My pleasure,thanks for all the info',it's only the third textured piece we have out of around 40 pieces,
                                                                                                                            Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
Found one pic which looks like a similar texture, Keith. Will dig
out more later. Sorry for the delay, I'm slow and all over the place today!

Bottom right bit of glass, bottom of the smaller pot. Looks very similar, doesn't it?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/more%20glass/2barks.jpg

However, I'd need to go all sort of "microscopic" and find a way of checking for minute details, to see if it's exactly the same mould.

I'd need putty, or plasticine or clay to do it, can't do it from images!

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
Very similar Sue,where do you find these beautiful pieces? all I ever see,apart from this pebble,are horses and 'oil-lamps' there seems a shortage of Mdina in my area at the moment,
                                      Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
These are both from the early, Harris period at Mdina, Keith. I've been collecting for quite a long time  - I had a big "binge" starting around 2000.
I found a couple of bits I loved, ( an Earthtones Cylinder vase, and a Ming Decanter (squat style) and eventually found out they were by the same maker and decided "this is the stuff I'm going to collect". (though not in recent years, I ran out of glass-money!).
I used to find bits mostly at Glass fairs and on ebay, but that was before it became popular in the collecting market. Often it was a matter of just my gut instinct about bits - buy it now, find out what it is later, but mostly because I just loved it.

Fairs are the best places to find the good stuff. I wish I knew where the exhibitors find it, but they don't give that info away!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand