No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors? Lindstrand? ID Please.  (Read 4508 times)

Offline MissMitch

• Members
Orrefors? Lindstrand? ID Please.
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:26:34 PM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could positively id this vase and tell me anything more about it. I think it's Orrefors and I think it's Vicke Lindstrand. I've seen examples of larger vases of a similar theme, but the thing is I can't any similar designs of this size. The vase is 8cms tall and the signature on the bottom reads (I think) of.L 1561.A.5.B (or 13). Any information would be greatly appreciated, I'd particularly like to know what year it was made.

Many thanks,
MissMitch  

Offline janton77

• Members
Re: Orrefors? Lindstrand? ID Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Hi

It Orrefors 1936 design by Lindstrand, stunning!!
Engraver not sure, try some talc on the letters and getting the engraver correct is very hard.

Kind R's

J

Offline MissMitch

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:02 PM »
Thanks so much janton77, that's wonderful. Which part is it that denotes the engraver? Is the the very last bit? I'm trying to get a clearer pic of it but really not having much success. I tried the talc as you suggested, but it's not making much of a difference. As I said it looks like a B or 13 maybe even a joined TS (JS). I'll keep trying to get a clearer image.

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Hi and I'm learning as well...
If its TS the engraver would be Thure Schultzberg who worked at Orrefors from 1926 to 56 so that makes sense and yes the last letters are the engraver.
Letter B would mean the vase was made in 1944 but with it being B13 that does not make sense!

As mentioned I'm learning and it may be worth taking a few more pictures of the base with a dark base? It may work.

Kind R's

J

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
The A 5 refers to the year of manufacture = 1939

so in total:

of.L 1561.A.5.TS

Orrefors, Lindstrand, model 1561 (1936 design) made 1939, engraved by Thure Schultzberg

Offline janton77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:06:24 AM »
The A 5 refers to the year of manufacture = 1939

so in total:

of.L 1561.A.5.TS

Orrefors, Lindstrand, model 1561 (1936 design) made 1939, engraved by Thure Schultzberg
Now that makes perfect sense... thanks Taylog!

Mod: Janton, I have moved your comment from the quoted part. When you use the "Quote" facility, make sure that you add your text after the "[ /quote ]"

Offline MissMitch

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »
That's great, thank you both, you've been a great help. It's lovely to know so much about the vase, I think I'll move the old gal to somewhere very safe!

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Miss Mitch- in all sincerity MY lovely home here in safe and secure New Zealand would be the perfect place to house this treasure- I will even pay for postage!! How's that?   You are fortunate to own such a lovely piece of glass. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline MissMitch

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
Heh! Thanks for your kind offer carolglass, but I think I'll keep hold of her for now. Believe it or not I bought the vase about 7 years ago for the princely sum of £11; think I was very lucky indeed! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand