No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RIIHIMAKI Erkkitapio Siiroinen DICE noppa GLASS VASE - query re repair?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Have been looking at this in a local junk shop (in a cupboard at the back) for several months now. It has a small chip in the rim - which Is why i hesitated to buy it. However as I really liked it I bit the bullet yesterday and paid$18 Aus for it - not a lot really. I looked it up when I got home as it had its Riihimaki label intact, and have identified it as above.

My question relates to the chip - is it worth the cost of getting the chip polished out? (about $40 Aus I believe)

And what are the "protocols" with glass - is it acceptable to have it repaired or is it better to leave it as original? I usually try not to buy anything that is damaged so this hasn't come up for me before.  I won't be selling it - it is for my display cupboard - but it probably will be sold when I pop my clogs! So I will have to put it in my records if I do get it repaired.

The chip is a V shape and about 4 mm wide at the top edge and about 3 mm long. I have tried to photograph it but it is really small and difficult to capture with my camera.

Opinions welcomed!
regards

Jackie
West Oz.

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: RIIHIMAKI Erkkitapio Siiroinen DICE noppa GLASS VASE - query re repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
At AUS$18 why worry about it; just enjoy it. You're assuming the offspring are going to appreciate what you have after you're gone and go to the effort of selling it for a good price rather than just taking what the man with the van offers. And that prices are going to be good. A quick peek at ebay suggests it's not worth it now. Think what you could buy with AUS$40

But that's just n my opinion

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
If you are happy with it leave it be. Someone else can always get it done if they want too.

For me a small chip or scratch polished out is not an issue if it is done well and not noticeable. I would clean a dirty oil painting. Other people probably think my opinion is heresy. ;D

Selling an item is a bit different though as any damage is going to affect value, as long as buyers know then they can act accordingly.

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
use clear nail varnish to smooth out the rough feel of the chip. This counts as an acceptable repair sorry restauration because it is fully reversible, and with a bit of luck it will stop bothering you.

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas folks. I particularly like the clear nail varnish idea -thanks Ivo -  because the chip does bother me - thats why I was considering getting it polished out - to satisfy me. If however I can diminish it with the clear nail varnish it may not bother me as much - and I like the idea that it is fully reversible. I may even try that today -  although as the temperatures here are at over 100F today again - as they have been for the last week - maybe I'll wait for a cooler day so it sets harder! 

I know - you'd probably kill for some sunshine - we are never satisfied are we................. after growing up in Lancashire I never thought I'd miss rain!  :)

and as for what I could buy with the $40 - yes - there is a collectors fair in a fortnight! 

regards, Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand