No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: TRIANGULAR SHAPED DECANTER  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
TRIANGULAR SHAPED DECANTER
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
This is an unusual shaped decanter compared to others I have seen.  I am not sure whether this is old or new.  The decanter measures 28cm high with stopper.  The top of the decanter without stopper is 4cm dia.  The base measurements is 10.8cm x 10.8cm x10.8.  The stopper is frosted glass and textured.  There is a starburst pattern to the base of the decanter.  I have not been able to find any info. regarding this unusual decanter.  Can anyone identify this please.  Many thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: TRIANGULAR SHAPED DECANTER
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »
Additional Info.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »
Looks like a mould blown cordial decanter to me with a pressed glass stopper, not usually ground in.   These were made in bottle works, pre Great War in Germany / Bohemia, afterwards possibly also in Britain.   Many of these had designs registered by factors.   Freebies with cordial concentrate, possibly at Christmas time?   If you keep to examples with Reg. Nos., you can date them.

Bernard C.  8)

ps — Please would you stop shouting your topic titles — it makes my hearing aids crackle, so I usually ignore them.   See admin. topic Netiquette: Posting in Capitals.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Triangular Shaped Decanter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
 ::) :thup:   Hi Bernard C,  Thanks for your info.  Have you by any  chance got any information as to the originator and age of this particular piece?  

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
No, we don't know any or the manufacturing glassworks, just the London factors who registered the designs.   Some stoppers were unique to a particular design of decanter, but a few were multi-purpose.   Your stopper was used in at least two other triangular designs, which is how I was so certain about what it was.    Yours is probably late 1910s to 1920s.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »
Thanks for your information Bernard C.  Most appreciated!  I will certainly look into this a bit further.  I have quite a large stock of decanters and sometimes it is hard to define their origin.  I most recently posted another decanter with the ring effect and even though I was able to find some similar I was totally confused by the pricing.  Anyway thanks very much for your time and effort.  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand