No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this mezza filigrana bottle Murano?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Is this mezza filigrana bottle Murano?
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
The signature looks to be fake, but I wondered if the bottle is Murano (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310203498350). I've seen so many Chinese pieces with filigrana like this that it is difficult to tell. Is there a good way to tell the Murano from the Chinese pieces?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Is this mezza filigrana bottle Murano?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
with a sig like that it is obvious no Venini - but there is no doubt it is quality work. The colour combo suggests it might me Cesm-i-bülbül  ("nightingale cage") glass from Pasabahce - but a quick google tells me that should have white canes as well... Still not not sure we can blame the Chinese for everything....

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Our favorite Dremmel owner I see.....   Sorry, I simply assume their goods are not what they state unless I know differently myself....

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
The canes do look careful. The neck and rim looked fairly steep for Murano, though. Wasn't sure who to blame this bottle on. I am trying to figure out which Scarpa piece the seller thinks it resembles. My Venini book was one of the ones lost in the mail, so I am clueless.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
You are anything but clueless.... You just lost a book...    :thup:
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
There were about 10 Murano books in each of the two boxes I lost -- all of my Pina, Barovier, and Venini. My glass IQ dropped to 50 as soon as the books didn't show. The bad thing is USPS sent me the label of one of my lost boxes and asked what was in the box. That was a month ago and I've not heard back from them after I sent a list. It was like they sent me my pet's ear and asked if I had seen Spot.

One Pina book did make it through in a separate box. It was Fifties Glass, the only one I hoped would get lost.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
Oh what a loss  :hug:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
Yes, I am still grieving, particularly because I didn't insure them. They weren't breakable, so I was dumb, dumb, dumb.  :pb:

I saw several bottles similar to the one in this thread. They had flame stoppers that looked to be contemporary Murano. They were round bottomed, but had the steep neck and this type of rim. But the bottle in this thread is supposed to be vintage. It has shelf wear on the bottom edges. Concrete before dremel?

So what we appear to have is a scraped, probably contemporary, common bottle missing its stopper with a fake Venini sig on bottom. And we can have all this for only $240 if we are the lucky bidder. I think I would rather take that money and replace my lost Barovier book.  :'(
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
... They sent the label?! I would just keep hassling them until they find the parcel or reimburse you. For them to have removed the label means this is their fault.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
I sent nine boxes of books over Christmas and received only seven of them at my new address. Most of the boxes were brutalized. The two boxes that didn't arrive were probably torn up completely. These were 200 lb test corrugated boxes, so it showed there was "attitude" at USPS over Christmas. The label sent to me still had the cardboard box under it, so the box had been torn up.

Lesson learned: always insure expensive books and don't mail them over Christmas, when tolerance for heavy boxes seems to be short in some areas of the USA.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand