No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Australian Glass  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Australian Glass
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
Hi Guys Please take a look here http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=797 two photos of a small crystal two piece lamp made by Crown Crystal Glass.

On Cathy B web site there is a very good history of this glass my piece is approx 6" (sorry not sure all packed away we have had a new carpet fitted so all glass was moved it does bounce very well) my piece has the grimwades name on it.

On the base it a opening for a electric cable? not sure would have had to be a very small bulb, has anyone seen this with fittings

Tony H

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Australian Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »
I can't find your lamp in the catalogues, although it looks to have the same blank as No. 72 but a simpler cut pattern. Mine (shown below) is described as a No. 7 all glass 10" dressing table lamp (in a catalogue from September 1934). The dimensions for the No. 72 are not mentioned.

On mine, the hole is for an electric cable, as you can see. I would assume yours would be too, but 6" does sound very small. Are you certain that dimension is correct?

PS excuse the horrible pictures!-I opted for speed over beauty.

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
Hi Cathy
I will dig it today and give more details is your catalogue for Grimwade  or Crown crystal

Tony H

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
You probably can find electrical fittings that will fit from an electrical supplier. Many years ago I made this lamp, it was not difficult to find the small fittings and bulb needed. The bulb is 5cm long and 2cm in diameter (2 inches and less than 1) and normally used in microwave ovens. These days there is probably more choice with the availability of LED lights.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
What a wonderful lamp  :clap: Sea Urchin?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Tony - It has two sections, the first Grimwade Crystal, and the second Wyndham Crystal, both made by Crown Crystal.

There is a little bit more on Grimwade here.

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
I can't find your lamp in the catalogues, although it looks to have the same blank as No. 72 but a simpler cut pattern. Mine (shown below) is described as a No. 7 all glass 10" dressing table lamp (in a catalogue from September 1934). The dimensions for the No. 72 are not mentioned.

On mine, the hole is for an electric cable, as you can see. I would assume yours would be too, but 6" does sound very small. Are you certain that dimension is correct?

PS excuse the horrible pictures!-I opted for speed over beauty.

Hi Cathy
Sorry for the delay with my reply to you about the size of my lamp, I cannot believe this topic was stated in March 2010!!

The answer is yes it is small I have it here on my desk now and it is 17cm high over all and has an opening for a cable with the name Grimwades to the right just like the one in your photo, the pattern is squares a X's formed with deep mitre cuts, not sure if it is real cuts or pressed the mitres looked polished the whole piece looks very crystal like.

The globe weighs 253gms 8cm wide by 7cms high glass is quite thick the base is 131gms 10.5cm high by 6.5cm diameter base and 4.5cm diameter at the top.

Hope this is of help.

Tony H

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand