No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IOW flame logo introduction?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
IOW flame logo introduction?
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

I managed to purchase a IOW "tortoise shell" vase, a whopping 8"high and 8"diameter (20 cm for the initiated). It has the IOW flame logo prunt on the underside.

Now I understand that this was one of the first patterns introduced by Michael Harris in 1973.  I have not been able to find out when the flame logo was introduced. Does anyne know?

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: IOW flame logo introduction?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »
Ron at Artius Glass is your man. What he doesn't know about Mdina isn't worth knowing.Drop him an email from his website
http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/

Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
I have and will let you know the results. Thank you  :hiclp:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
The Flame logo was introduced late 1973, used until circa '79. It was gradually phased out from '78 though, to be replaced by the flat polished bases and the triangular black sticker, though the phasing out happened more with the Azurene bits than others.
(Mark Hill, p.134.)

This tortoiseshell design was a continuation of the design developed by MH at Mdina.

Nice bit Ivo - I've got a similar big one, but it has a big crack in it's base. Still displays well though, and cost me less than £20. >:D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
The Flame logo was introduced late 1973, used until circa '79. It was gradually phased out from '78 though, to be replaced by the flat polished bases and the triangular black sticker, though the phasing out happened more with the Azurene bits than others.
(Mark Hill, p.134.)

This tortoiseshell design was a continuation of the design developed by MH at Mdina.

Nice bit Ivo - I've got a similar big one, but it has a big crack in its base. Still displays well though, and cost me less than £20. >:D

THANK YOU!  :hiclp:
I saw this one come by on our local auction site as "pretty glass pot" - so I bid. And got it for £20 including postage. Miracles do happen!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand