No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall Slim Cased Vase. - ID = "Snowflakes" Brand, China.  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Tall Slim Cased Vase. - ID = "Snowflakes" Brand, China.
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
This is a beautiful vase with what appears to be a bird design around the vase.  The vase measures 28.8cm high, 4.5cm dia. at the top and 7.8cm dia. at the base stand.  There is a 3.5cm convex pontil rippled effect. I have been informed that this could be possibly Chinese.  Can anyone identify the originator and age.   Kind Regards   :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Tall Slim Cased Vase.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Definitely Chinese and modern. Do a search for Snowflake on the board. But it does not have a pontil mark; those are just cooling ripples.

Please read the long explanation of pontil marks I added to http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31289.0.html for you and I will try and find some pictures as well, as many of the items you are describing pontil marks for simply do not have them - just bases. I'm not trying to be funny or offensive, just helpful.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:20 PM »
Hi Christine.  I have looked at the site you have suggested and also checked the base of this particular vase.  I am not in anyway disputing your comments but I am not still clear about identifying markings.  This particular vase has a convex mark with the measurements as described in the initial description. The ripple effect does give me reasons to now believe that it may not be a pontil after all.  Can you tell me why the base is not flat,but rough and jagged? They maybe a good reason for this.  I can assure you that I am no expert and have no intentions of being one but appreciate the work, effort and interests by others in the making  of such wonderful pieces of glass.  Those that do have knowledge, I seek their knowledge, expertise and comments in this field. The glass plate that you referred me to was one of the ones I had posted some time ago and at the time was not too sure of how to describe this.

I have been able to find a vases currently on Ebay similar to mine and am somewhat confused as to the origin of this particular piece.  I, like you, thought this to be Chinese.  ::)  Ebay Item No. 290407432091 and 260560804373.  Look forward to your comments regarding these images.  Kind Regards
:thup:

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

HI, you will find lots of items on Ebay which are not correctly listed, it can be very confusing at times because buyers assume the seller would know the right maker of what they are selling. It also happens a lot in shops selling glass and some will not take kindly to being told they have the wrong maker however nicely you tell them. Its a case of buyer beware, most sellers don't mean to mislead the buyer, and I have found lots of sellers have only heard of two or three main glass makers names and then assume every piece of glass is made by them!!!!  ( usually Whitefriars or Murano) The vase you mention is Chinese, we had a discussion before about them (I have a lovely pink one)       Cheryl :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »
The brandname these items are sold under is Snowflake, they are factory made in China. The ripples on the base occur while the piece is cooling. This piece has never been near a pontil iron and so will not have a pontil mark.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:26:17 PM »
Hi Christine, just to say thanks for your information and knowledge regarding this vase.  With regards to the two vases on Ebay.  Should they be using the name Murano within their desription and heading or should it read Murano Style?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:39:52 AM »
Otis:

It's a huge stretch to say "Murano style." It should say, or perhaps even scream, "Chinese."

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
I have a photograph of a drinks set with exactly this effect and finish, clearly labelled Snowflake and Made in China. I'll dig it out if you like, but it was several computers & backups ago and digging it out involves work. There's no ambiguity on this one; it's definitely Chinese.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:35:06 AM »
Hi Cathy B.  No need to do that.  I already had accepted Christine's comments regarding this as Chinese.  It appears that was not made clear, so as you can see I altered the heading in my last reply  :-[  Many thanks to you and others that have either offered or contributed to what this topic is mainly about.   Once again, many thanks!  :thup:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:55 AM »
There is a fairly extensive listing of Chinese vases at http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN-suppliers/Art_Glass/--172803--------------_1-CN,----------.html?noddp=Y. Sorry for the long link, but I thought people might like to bookmark the site. There are 38 pages of Chinese art glass shown. Most of the pieces shown have "# similar" written next to them, which will take you to company pages. Many things commonly seen on eBay are shown on these company pages. And it even gives the name of the company! Excellent information.

And yes, you were told right, Orlando. Your vase is Chinese and is not Murano-like at all. I don't see any reason to use the word Murano when describing a Chinese vase (or one from any other country). Using Murano would just be keyword spamming, which irritates everybody.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand