No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi Style Murano (or Vice Versa) - Toso?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Scandi Style Murano (or Vice Versa) - Toso?
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:47:47 AM »
The shape of the rim screams Scandi, but the weight, bullicante, body shape as well as the fact it's unsigned (!) while being a very high quality piece, all to me suggest Murano.  Fratelli Toso?  My other theory, for which I have no support other than the use of the color green, is that it's a piece by Carl Erickson Glassworks of Ohio.  Please "bump" to Scandi board if someone knows for certain that's where it belongs.  (Scroll down to next posting for more pix).

Thanks for any help,
Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Scandi Style Murano (or Vice Versa) - Toso?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
More pix.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
Charles:

I don't know if you've seen the recent threads on similar vases, although they were made with Balloton molds. It shows how much a popular design can be slightly altered and spread quickly. I can see the colour as being Murano, some of the shape as Scandi, and the bubbles as Erickson. So I can't help that much. If I had to guess, I'd guess Murano, though. Now if it had a rigaree base...

The links to the other threads are http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32077.msg173434.html
and http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31518.0.html

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
Thanks David -
What a remarkable coincidence.  The piece from the other thread clearly came from the same factory, and the back-and-forth raises the same quandry (is it Scandi or Murano?), so I'm not as dumb as I look.   ;)  Anyhow, on closer inspection, my piece has the same "quilted" effect as the piece in the other thread.  So subtle I missed it in the original description.  One difference, though, is that mine has a recessed bottom.  Still, heavy glass with sommerso effect.  Here's a picture.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
I was going to say that I find that a recessed base is sometimes there through necessity (get rid of pontil mark) as much as by design. Then I looked at the base on your vase and that is a deep recess. I wonder. I'd lean towards Murano, because of the balloton mould and the colour.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:10:12 AM »
Thanks.  This helps to confirm my strong feeling it's Murano and not Scandinavian in origin, although one is still left to wonder which factory produced it, as well as its counterpart on the other message thread.  One always hopes for a big name, but this piece in my view aspires at best to Fratelli Toso.  Or possibly Barbini on a bad day.  Not to denigrate those houses, but...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
Oh, dear.  :spls: Ermanno Toso is probably turning in his esteemed grave.

I have to speak up for Fratelli Toso here. They are the company that others are compared to when it comes to murrine work. They made beautiful Venetian glass before the 1950s. They were the first company to branch off into the psychedelic colors that we love so much in the mid-mod glass. They were masters of opalino and lattimo. Their good work is solid and favored in Australia and South America. I'm afraid that we tend to get into a USA state of mind when it comes to Murano glass.

Fratelli Toso did produce a lot of junk glass. Most of the companies did. The cheap trinkets were the bread and butter money for the companies. Toso didn't do sommerso or transparent glass as well as the other companies, but I've seen few things that can compare the the apparenza or kiku.

Fratelli Toso made good, solid glass for the public. Other companies must have thought it good because the themes began to appear in their glass. So to say Fratelli Toso is a lesser company ignores the history of their work. I was shocked when I read your words, horochar! I consider most of the work of Toso to be equivalent to Barbini. Many times it is hard to tell one company from the other. I am personally a big fan of Toso.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand