No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is the earliest date found on a Mdina Fish?  (Read 10550 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
What is the earliest date found on a Mdina Fish?
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
Hi everybody!

I was wondering if folk who possess any Mdina Fish vases with dates written on them would be kind enough to help conduct a survey to find the earliest date inscribed.

These would be slightly later than the Michael Harris period.

The earliest date on any of mine is 1976.

I am asking, because I am wondering if there was a break in the production of this shape of vase between Michael Harris leaving in 1971, and Joseph Said making them again.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: What is the earliest date found on a Mdina Fish?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »
The seller of this fish vase states it is signed Mdina Glass 1973.

John

Didn't Mr Harris leave in 1972?

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:33:53 AM »
Okay, I know I know nothing about glass, but could someone enlighten me about the definition of eraly?  :24:

(possibly before written word???)

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Eraly is clearly a new word, defining the period Michael Harris was still making fish vases (and in the Joseph Said shape too!) at Mdina after he left in 1971......

I'm afraid I can't read the inscription, John. What I can make out looks a little like Eric Dobson's writing, but I'm afraid I can't count this piece - the marks are not verified.

It's correct and verifiable dates I'm looking for, only.  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
Sue, what makes you think there may have been a break in production of fish vases?

Again, I was under the impression Michael Harris left Mdina in 1972 not 1971.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
You're right, '72 it was. (I'm not good at dates :-[)

It's just a sort of observation I want to confirm, John. MH made "nearly all" of the Fish when he was there, (to quote Mark Hill, p.30) I don't know how many other makers were competent enough to do these. I am just wondering if there might have been a break in their making until Joseph got good enough to give them another go.

With the introduction of date marks following his (MH's) departure, I have seen them on the cube vases, (my earliest being '75) on large Ming globe vase (again, my earliest is '75), on chalices (I'm not climbing up to check) and on Fish vases, but the earliest date I've seen on an actual Fish, is '76.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
I would be surprised if there was a long break in their production, only because if there was it could be like starting from scratch again. Some of the tips and techniques needed to make them might be forgotten, much harder to achieve after years of absence I would guess.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
I think a major problem was actually handling the weight of the glass - a combination of both strength and skill.

But I still strongly suspect a break in production, and until proved otherwise, I remain suspicious.  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
The seller (of the 1973 Fish vase) has added better photos, the date can now be seen clearly: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120539364169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

John

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
Do you think 'someone' might have had a chat to the seller then John, someone who's still buzzing from their MH sig find?  With a bit of luck we'll get to see some of her other fishes too, I've given her the link to this thread as she has more than one fishy at home!  Would be great to see some more pics.

The sig on the one on ebay looks to be Dobson, and a genuine inscription, which is a relief after a few dodgy ones around lately.  Sue has an intriguing thought on this one too - I'll leave her air it as it was something that hadn't occured to me.

Suzy x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand