No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is the earliest date found on a Mdina Fish?  (Read 10567 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: What is the earliest date found on a Mdina Fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Well I agree, it certainly looks like a genuine Dobson Signature.
But he didn't make glass.

So the odd thought I had was, could it possibly be by Vicente Boffo? He stayed on for a little while after Michael Harris left, I don't know how long though.

This '73 Fish is a BIG beast.

Bigger than most of the Joseph Said signed ones I've seen, all of them being '76 or later.
It's also quite a distinct sort of shape - the same shape as another I've seen pictures of ,which purports to have a '73 date.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Couzie

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
Hi i'm new to this forum, someone that maybe able to help with your questions/queries is a gentleman called Ron who runs Artiusglass, Ron knows alot about Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass and had the great fortune to know Micheal Harris and his Sons personally, i hope Ron can answer your questions about the dates and any time lapse between production.
 :sun:
Terry

P.S if it's convenient Ron will be standing at the Shepton Mallet 3 Day Antique and Collectors Fair and he is always happy to answer any questions people have, he also has some fine examples of Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass for those that are interested.
Hope this helps.

Terry    :sun:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
Hi Terry and welcome to the board. Ron is well known and respected here already, but thanks for adding your information about him and the upcoming event. Events can be publicised in out Glass Events forum which links to the front page calendar - so feel free to add details there for us. Enjoy the board!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Hi and welcome!  :hi:

I know Ron and Ann quite well, thanks!  :thup:

I'm on his mailing list and always make time for a chat at fairs - thanks very much for your "heads up" to him though! I'm kind of trying to delve a bit into the time period at Mdina and in Malta shortly after Michael Harris left - sort of '72 - '75-ish.
Info about this period is proving very elusive indeed.
However, my observation from bits which have come onto the market, has been that there are Fish vases dated from '75 onwards. I haven't, I don't think, ever seen a post-Harris one dated '72, or '73, (and now my brain's failing me, don't quote me on this) I think I may have something dated '74.

I am simply wondering if there was a period of no Fish vase production, shortly, post-Harris.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Couzie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
I'm glad you already know Ron & Ann, have you ever thought about emailing Micheal's sons at Isle of Wight Glass or asking Ron to ask if they know anything during this period, i would imagine they may still have had contact with the studio as being the previous owners, maybe mother also may know something of worth to help you cause. Terry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
Thanks, Terry. I believe that the Harrises were rather caught up in finding new premises and setting up other glass studios at this time - Kerry Glass and Isle of Wight Studio Glass for a start, they were a bit too busy with their future to pay too much attention to what happened at Mdina right after they left. I am a member of the IoWSG collector's club and have met Elizabeth and Tim, and Jonathon too, quite a few times.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand