No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars floral inkwell  (Read 4279 times)

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
Re: Whitefriars floral inkwell
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
Hi All

I have that central cane or one very similar in a 1950's concentric and in a 1953 EllR weight. in both cases i have a ring of identical canes. I do not think it is a distorted cane but do not know the reason for it either.

Roy

Hi Roy, sounds like a strong clue there thanks  :thup:. Very interesting. I was just about giving up on finding out anything about the symbol.

Would you happen to have any pics you could post up please? I have seen one of the 1953 ER weights, but no sign of that symbol (nor in any other weights I've looked at so far).

Perhaps tying in with something Allan Port said to me earlier - that the only way the WHITEFRIARS signatures could be real was if the inkwells were made in the 1950s when paperweight production began again at WF, though he did also say he believed they were probably Arculus or W-W, in which case the signatures would've been added later. He didn't mention the cane symbol.

After what you've said I'm now much more hopeful of finding out when, and by whom, these were made.

Best regards,
Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Sorry, just to acknowledge and thank - Tropdevin too suggests early 1950s earlier up the thread. A notion that's gathering 'weight'?  ;)

Here's the pic of the symbol again, to save anyone visiting the link:-

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
Hope these work

The weight without the centre cane is the EllR 1953

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
Hope these work

The weight without the centre cane is the EllR 1953

Fantastic stuff Roy! The best lead so far. I think this completely 'squishes' the squished cane possibility? ;)

Now looking odds-on to me the inkwells are indeed 50s WF.

As your 1953 ER weight also includes the symbol canes, it must be a bit special? I've looked at two others and they don't have it.

Maybe this symbol is one that was only used by a particular cane maker at WF in the 50s? I bet someone out there would know.

Re the etched signatures on the inkwell bases, does anyone know if these were added to all 50s WF pieces, or just a few? I'm strongly inclined to believe they're genuine signatures. They're tiny so would imagine a bit difficult for a novice to do?

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
Yes ask Brian Slingsby or Ray Annenberg ,Brian was technical director and Ray cane maker , if they dont know who does ? ytl Sue :kissy:  jp  How ya doin Chris been deleted lately on the other channel Warm Regards mate . JP

Hi jp, can you let me know how I could contact Brian/Ray please? Sorry to ask but I'm a bit new to this.

Many thanks,
Paul.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
I believe Patrick is involved with Ray doing something with canes now maybe you can ask him , Ray used to live just across the road from me but has moved .  jp

Offline -Monkey-

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
I believe Patrick is involved with Ray doing something with canes now maybe you can ask him , Ray used to live just across the road from me but has moved .  jp

Thanks jp but I'm afraid the names mean nothing to me - would you have an email addie for either of them please?

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
If you scroll down this this page to who would have thought W/Fs made this you can pm Patrick .  :thup:jp

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »
Patrick Hogan's profile here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=profile;u=691
There is no PM facility on here

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
just a little more circumstancial evidence for 1950s - in the same auction were two whitefriar weights, one a Triplex and one with initials in the centre.  Both of these date from early 50s - 1951 Festival of Britain is ofter quoted.  These were within 4 lots of the two bottles and I think there were a couple of other whitefriar glass lots, so there is a chance that all these came from the same seller 
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand