No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fairy or sprite bowl ID = Sowerby, "Hermes" or "Mercury" vase  (Read 2255 times)

Offline lmj

• Members
Hi i have exhausted my few archives trying to id this bowl it has a fairy or sprite with a Puk like hat under trees it stands at 12.05cm and it is 17cm across,it sits on 4 feet and the fairy is on opposing sides.thanks for looking.Lynn

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: fairy or sprite bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
I think it might be Sowerby but will have to check. If I remember right the figure is from Greek mythology.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
Sowerby 2566 (came with a holder) - c.late 30's.
(from Glen's "Sowerby's Ellison Glass Works Volume One Victoria To George V") Illustrated List no.35 :)
Anne E.B

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Confirmation is here (amongst other threads I believe) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2362.0.html

:D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline lmj

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
many thanks Pamela and yes he is looking more and more like Hermes...Lynn

Offline lmj

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »
Thank you Anne a font of knowledge as usual,calling it a sprite was a bit of demotion for the winged Hermes !!

Offline Debra

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:35:02 AM »

Definitely Sowerby - Perseus - the winged messenger is your fairy depiction... I have the pink, amber, green, blue and clear versions! They're delightful!
Debra

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
Certainly not Perseus, who was a hero and great-grandfather of Heracles/Hercules. The figure on this vase is Hermes, or so says Adam D. who used to work at Sowerby. Also known to collectors as Mercury. (Hermes is Greek, Mercury is the Roman equivalent).

Offline lmj

• Members
Re: fairy or sprite bowl ID = Sowerby, "Hermes" or "Mercury" vase
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:28 AM »
many thanks Cathy,i in fact thought he looked like Hermes from the pictures i see in books,i appreciate the reply...Lynn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand