No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Here's an odd one....  (Read 1463 times)

Offline glasslover

• Members
Here's an odd one....
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this unusually shaped and proportioned Barovier & Toso piece currently listed on Ebay-#190378858665. The finish on the top of the rim seems rather odd also.  :huh:
Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking? :)
Also, is it just me, or does it seem that there have been ALOT of figurines(singles and pairs) surfacing lately?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Here's an odd one....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
I had a heavy glass tumbler and plate that had this type of cane section on the rim. I went back and forth between thinking it was old Venetian or French. Please let us know what you are thinking. It may help me solve an old mystery.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glasslover

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
Hi Anita-Many thanks for your contributions of information and insight.....
The base on this vase appears to be out of proportion to the height of the piece(too wide). When I saw the top of the rim, it seemed too "unfinished" for a Barovier & Toso piece. I know that the attribution is correct because I have a vase in exactly the same color and cane pattern, but it is one of the vases with the turned-down collar pictured in Pina's "Italian Glass,Century 20" book. This actually looks like(literally) the bottom half of one of those vases in the 12" version-the height  measurement given in the posting seems to bear this out. Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:27:15 AM »
Very perceptive, glasslover. I compared the vase to three of the Barovier & Toso vases that I have taken pictures of. The thickened rim on top of the base and the way the pedestal joins the body of the vase is the same. The only difference I see is that my vases have a swirl to the latticino of the foot, while the eBay vase does not. Of course, mine also have the tops on them. IMO, you are probably right. Good catch!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand