No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a very nice lamp base  (Read 4368 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
a very nice lamp base
« on: September 07, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »
just acquired this very nice lamp base, but I've never seen anything like it, it's 10" high with a lot of gold and silver aventurine, it's hand blown with 2 applied leaf like pattern design on the sides the base is slightly concaved with no pontil mark, anyone have any idea who made this?

thanks Ray

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p1d1fee80a7e9cf5890428b306e8c65dd/f71c6383.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p5b2ab396d2a7bf1b176dd69f47df1b59/f71c6386.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p4d156d81df0b35c56cd2813d9be468f6/f71c58b0.jpg
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
a very nice lamp base
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:47:51 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
a very nice lamp base
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 01:41:30 PM »
cheers Frank
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
a very nice lamp base
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:50 PM »
had to drag this one back up again, just been to my local glass factory to see if i can get shade made for it, yep i can, the master glass blower Chris dodds looked at the base and said straight away ahhh! a Paul Ysart base , i said are you sure his reply was yep i knew him well, so could this be a missing link :D
cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
a very nice lamp base
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 06:56:24 PM »
Groan...

... It is amazing how much confusion gets into folklore via glassmakers. There is an assumption that because they knew the person that they know everything they make. PY was shown a pic of one of these years ago and said nothing to do with his family.  Lots of this goes on in Scotland. I recall a lamp sold on eBay last year which looked like very much Vasart but eventually Kevin on studying the canes thought it could be Perthshire Paperweights. The original dealer asked a friend who had worked at Perthshire and he stated "No way Perthshire - none of the colours were used at PP". However, the buyer took it to Chic Young "Oh yes, I made that (At Perthshire Paperweights) it was a one of trial and Stuart Drysdale did not approve it for production". He signed the lampbase.

Chic Young trained under Paul Ysart after WWII at Moncrieff's.

If you look at how it is made you will find a lot of differences between it and any Ysart glass. The only similarity is that this uses some silver flakes (Ysart's used Mica - but I believe other materials can be used) and has stripes.  Colours do not usually match those used by the Ysart's but then they did use a lot of colours from various suppliers in Europe and UK.

However, I would still love to know where these were made. I have seen only one vase in this technique but about 6 lamp-bases. Which makes it fairly rare and 1930-50's seems a reasonable date range. USA or Bohemia are still equal hot favourites.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: a very nice lamp base
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »
A lot more of these have been appearing on eBay since this thread fell asleep so Post WW2 seems likely. Mostly the lamp bases but also the vases.

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: a very nice lamp base
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »
there's a bowl on ebay somewhere, i thinks it's yellow
cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum