No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass lighter Red. Definately not whitefriars?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Glass lighter Red. Definately not whitefriars?
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Glass lighter measuring 7.5cm high, base 4cm.  The pontil is concaved and measures 3.5cm and is off centred to the the base. Can anyone identify this please.  Many thanks

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Glass lighter Red. Definately not whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »
from Italy, circa sixties.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
Hi Otis what makes you say it is not Whitefriars ? it looks like it could be to me . can we have a profile shot .

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
Is it a Ronson lighter?  Remove it from the glass base, it should have the maker on the base of the metal. If it is Ronson, then it is likely to be Whitefriars.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
With reference to the lighter in question.  I had posted a lighter similar to this one some time ago.  The only physical difference was the mechanism that you press down.  There was no details under this particular lighter also.  I assumed this one would also have had Ronsons stamped on the base to be Whitefriars.  I could be totally wrong as I am no expert.  I have also attached the lighter recently posted that is similar to this one (DSC00034/5).  I hope this will assist you.  Many thanks for you help  :thup: Having just read Emmi's reply I think that answers it. Not whitefriars.  Unless the glass is and the insert has been changed at some point?   Mmmmmmmmmm!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »
Yes 100% but not worth a fortune at the moment . Keep it for a while , enjoy if you do sell on ebay put it in 2 cats W/FS and lighters Ronson .  :pb: jp  

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
Hi JP,
did you notice , Otis says the photo of the base of the lighter was another one, not this red one.
This lighter has nothing on the base.
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
Hi Andy the glass has nothing on the base but the Ronson says it all, you have to pull it up out of the glass sometimes difficult . :thup: There is a nice ashtray that goes with it , you would not recognise it , it also has chrome fittings. I dont believe its in the cats . :sleep:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Sorry Andy missed your reply about the base of the lighter but i still think the rest looks OK , dont forget if they ran out of clappers for the bell they would go to Woolworth for beads and chain and make one up . jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand