No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...  (Read 9242 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:08:45 AM »
8cm high & 10cm in diameter. Flavio Poli blue sommerso bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte. No label. Added here for reference.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »
As in the other one, this is clear cased and it looks very much like a recent piece of Krosno - heavy, well made, polished rim...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
Kane, if you are adding as a reference, please give the source of the attribution. It is a fairly simple piece of glass. Why do you feel it is Seguso VA?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
I found a bowl that looks a lot like yours but in topaz. It has a Seguso VA label and is from 1960. The one in the auction catalog is 17 cm in diameter and very thick walled, but looks like it is not cased -- hard to tell from the picture because I can't see the lower portion.

Where did you buy your bowl, Kane. Since your bowl is added for reference, it would be good to know a little bit more about it and the attribution.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:53:44 AM »
Purchased from design & arts. I had the option of 2 bowls. One with a label but damaged, or this one which was perfect. I decided on this one since the other SVdA pieces I have in this colour combo are near perfect.

I also have another SVdA bowl with the same dimensions in a deep purple (looks black) with gold foil that has the SVdA label. Age approx mid 50's. My glass generally sticks to a theme. I hope this helps some more. I do believe it is geniune example.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
I also forgot to add tx. I am becoming more familiar with these Poli pieces and the range of colour that he done on these even amazes me. Some with labels and without. Also done in varying sizes. I hope this can help clarify.

From the definitions I have read in regards to cased or sommerso pieces. They seem to over lap! Which can be confusing.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Purchased from design & arts. I had the option of 2 bowls. One with a label but damaged, or this one which was perfect. I decided on this one since the other SVdA pieces I have in this colour combo are near perfect.

I wondered if it was Design&Arts. I always trust their attributions. Finding the same type bowl in a different color and with a label tells me your instincts were right. You bought a good piece. Thanks for the reference!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
I know I probably should add more detail to my posts tx! Sometimes i just feel to rushed, especially at the moment.  >:(

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
Was Poli the absolute master of Sommerso? I have not seen anybody who does it better than him. Even A.Seguso seems to have learnt his Sommerso technique from Poli and several of his pieces are very similar to Poli.

Love the colour and the look of it Kane.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand