No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...  (Read 9259 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »
I think Poli is definitely a master in colour combination. With some pieces I have extreme trouble knowing whether it is one or two colours. He blends colour so well! I think the A.S sommerso pieces are definitely A.S. Good colour combination but you can tell the distinct layers.

I will be unwrapping (Xmas has come early  :chky:) a few other sommerso pieces which are of good quality this weekend. Pic time!  ;D And these are pieces i am unsure about!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:01 AM »
By definition, Sommerso is two or more colours plus a clear casing.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
I thought sommerso was one or more colours plus a clear casing and that the colours weren't blended, i.e., there is a distinct boundary as you would see when an object was submerged in water

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »
One colour would be straightforward clear cased. For Sommerso you always need two or more, by definition.  You cannot "merge" colours by superimposing - either by dipping or by wrapping it around the core. In Sommerso you will always see at least two boundaries.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »
Is this not sommerso then? It only has green uranium and red, and the red is clearly submerged in the green

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
I have a huge Cenedese vase which is blue cased in Neodymium - you'd think that is sommerso. But technically speaking it is not. I noticed on the Artofvenice site that they have the definition right - but still will describe some pieces as Sommerso even if it only single cased. Maybe if they see this they will be so kind as to clear up the issue. It may well be a case of stretched definitions - and I'm not sure local glassmakers always follow the correct definition either.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »
Heiremans lumps sommerso and cased glass, as well as glass with inclusions, into a single chapter "Sommerso" in his book Murano Glass, Themes and Variations. He defines sommerso as glass made that has two or more layers made by dipping an object into glass (paraphrased). Thinking of the thinly cased vessels made by Martinuzzi, I have difficult stretching my definition of sommerso to include them. They don't look submerged to me. In fact, they barely look cased. Perhaps Heiremans included cased vessels in this chapter because it is a manner of the degree in thickness of the layers. He did not write of why he had lumped these vessels together.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
On the sommerso issue - even the knowlegable sources seem to conflict. Marino Barovier states that it is several layers, but Venini says 'one or more'.

:-\

Another two vases to add to the pile:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
Nice pinkspoons...i should add my other colour combos of this shape by Poli to the mix to get the colours added. Beautiful pieces.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
All these Italian glass terminologys get confusing , i think it rests upon whose book you read and when it was written . :-\ :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand