No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...  (Read 9261 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso Bowl for Seguso Vetri d'Arte...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
Tell me about it! So many seem to describe much the same technique with only minor differences. It took me months to figure that a macchie decoration is just a subset of a fasce decoration. Or at least I think it is!  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
I like the Art of Venice definition. If sommerso covers one colour cased in clear, then the development and use of the term  "sommerso" really doesn't mean much. For example, is Landberg's dusk series for Orrefors properly called sommerso?

What's the opinion on this one, 7.75 cm wide and 9.5cm high? (Sorry for the hijack, Kane; just trying to clarify for myself.)

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »
I don't know if 'sommerso' can be applied to ostensibly single casings if the outer casing is thick enough? I say 'ostensibly single' because I've a few pieces with incredibly thick outer casings that have been dipped in the clear glass bucket dozens of times to build it up, shown in a slight refraction between the many clear layers. In these kind of instances, perhaps, 'submerged' is quite apt a term for a vase with only two colours.

Even these small Poli vases show signs of more than one 'dipping' to get the thickness of the outer layer.

I don't know - just a thought.  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
Love the colour of your green vase, but I'm not sure it's from the same series as these - my two vases, as well as a matching colourless bowl I've had, have all had flat polished bases and rims.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
Not a problem langhaugh, although that bowl would sit well with the Poli pieces  ;D. Love the colour of it but I wouldn't consider that sommerso. I would expect to see distinct layer for it to be sommerso. For me, I would expect at least one colour that is at least deeply 'encased' in clear glass for it to be sommerso.

The definition of sommerso is definitely 'loose' and hopefully one day it can be clarified. I am more than happy for someone to consider a piece sommerso even if I don't think it is. I wouldn't correct them unless it was really needed.

I hope this makes sense...my brain is fried after today... ::)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
Update

According to Heiremans great book:

more likely designed by Mario Pinzoni than Flavio Poli.
Similar pieces (with spherical lids) are shown in the selective model list 1970.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand