No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso for Seguso Vetri d'Arte Bowl or Vase...  (Read 6858 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Flavio Poli for Seguso Vetri d'Arte blue sommerso huge bowl or vase???!!! weighs about 3kg. No label. Lovely piece. Added here for reference. Sorry no dimensions. It is packed away. Will add at a later time.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Flavio Poli Blue Sommerso for Seguso Vetri d'Arte Bowl or Vase...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
That is clear cased, not Sommerso - and I would sooner look in the direction of one of the lesser known Scandinavian or German firms - like Ruda or Ingridglas. Do you have any reference which would make it Poli?

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
This piece is a smaller version of the larger vase I purchased with the SVdA label. It has the same weird 'scratching' around the piece as the one I posted here...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31169.0.html

I do believe it is a genuine example. Also purchased from design and arts.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:39:50 AM »
ok fair enough. The style is called water optic, and Poli does not enter into the equasion.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »
Ivo, just to clarify. Do you mean that Poli has not done water optic style?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:20 AM »
Only if you can find a reference which says that he did. I have not found any...

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
Although Poli is attributed with many styles of glass, he is to Italian "Sommerso" as Powolny is to Czech "Tango", the attributed designer of much more than he actually produced... another example of an internet "myth".

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
I have to add that Poli was prolific in his designs while he was artistic director at Seguso. Some of his designs were fabulous and others look less inspired. Probably if we had pictures of Kane's glass in just the right light, we would be impressed with the clean lines of the sommerso.

One thing I don't know is if Poli ever made the glass. I know that others in the company. e.g. Archimede Seguso when he worked there, executed Poli designs. I don't know who else might have done his sommerso pieces.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:15 AM »
Poli definitely did a lot of designs. I still haven't ascertained whether he executed any pieces himself and we may never know if he did. I have to agree that some pieces are definitely lack lustre, but I still enjoy seeing them anyway.

Ivo, there is piece in design and arts shop that has a label - 50666. Another without a label. I have only seen that label on two pieces of glass, both optic pieces from SVdA. Unfortunately I didn't snap up the other piece and i no longer have the listing for it as it was some time ago.

Hopefully a piece will show up in the near future with the standard SVdA label and put the matter to rest. My opinion still is, that this is a Poli piece. The feel, the look and the 2 layers of blue i believe is his work.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
An old thread, I know, but I've had a couple of these water-optic pieces in the past and an SVdA collector who bought one from me said it was most likely a Mario Pinzoni design rather than a Poli one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand