No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass -- on Drugs (?) ID = Skrdlovice  (Read 7977 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Glass -- on Drugs (?)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
I agree with Andy, this is a Skrdlovice design, but it is difficult to assign a specific designer at the moment.
This bowl is quite different from the other tall vases we have been discussing, where the bowl version of those vases, where the vases have cuts in the lip of the vase, the bowls also have the cut. 

Robert bOBA

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
Hi Robert,
you are so much more organised than me ;)
I get confused with all the Skrdlovice threads, ive just been through them and this one,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19903.0.html
Jindrich says Beranek , 1959 and shows a photo of an attributed one, but i know information is
always changing and youve been keeping much more up to date than me ::)
Is there some doubt over the Beranek attribution?
(the ones with the cut in the top, feel a little different to me, id agree with some doubt over the factory)
Cheers
Andy

( oh also this thread with Emmis vase, Jindrich confirms Beranek pattern 5988/30 c 1958
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30424.0.html
same as two vases in myy photo 2 posts up! ) )
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
Boba is true,
it is very hard to extimate designer, the top view and exact dimensions should help us to get our estimation closer.
I would tend to say Jaroslav Beranek and the piece from set "Andromeda" becouse this set was very popular so I would expect to see that pieces abroad and more often than other designs.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
sorry I am blind, I see the dimensions even in inches :-)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
I was thinking its more spiral , like 'Andromeda'
 ;D

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
Re. Jindrich post:

I agree that this bowl of Antique Rose's is certainly Skrdlovice 1950's, a lovely piece.

Re. Andy's above post: No doubt on these Andy as Jindrich says yours are Jan Beranek design from 1958 - pattern 5988/30.
The previous thread this week was concerning the ones with the cut top (and some similar tall vases without a cut which you have only one of that Michelle used for the Sklo group shot on facebook for a while etc...) It was just my point concerning the cut top vases especially that Skrdlovice seemed unlikely, which you agree with "and the jury is still out" on these since documented evidence of any kind is not fully convincing.

All the others that you mention are, as Jindrich previously said, Jan Beranek design from 1958 - pattern 5988/30, I would agree, the proof is in many places,

all these vases it gets confusing, I was trying to keep things simple....

Robert bOBA

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Cheers Robert,
one day i will get around to cataloguing my bits, rather than just using the fading braincells
 ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Glass -- on Drugs (?) ID = Skrdlovice
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »
Rose:

A nice piece. There are quite a number of Czech pieces around antique/junk/collectible stores in Canada, and often at a real bargain price. Somebody imported them in the 50's early 60's and then they were forgotten. They're often sold as Chalet or Murano. They're more fluid, less pointy, and usually more muted colours than Chalet  That's a good start to a grouping.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:20 AM »
Hi there:  Would this piece be from what era?  60's? or so....

Rose:
A nice piece. There are quite a number of Czech pieces around antique/junk/collectible stores in Canada, and often at a real bargain price. Somebody imported them in the 50's early 60's and then they were forgotten. They're often sold as Chalet or Murano. They're more fluid, less pointy, and usually more muted colours than Chalet  That's a good start to a grouping.
David

I wonder if BIRKS (Canada) imported them, as I believe that they had also imported Murano Glass too, being a higher end store??

I have just learned something here (Thank You ALL) -- and I believe I *might* have a another piece to post shortly.  I had taken a guy's card at the Antique show.  You are right, this other piece I am going to be buying NOW from this guy had said to me that (this other piece) was Murano.  That is why I did not buy it then at the show -- because I did not think it was.  I thought I would take a chance on this piece for the $10 that it costed me, and leave the other piece still with him.

So now after learning about this piece of glass - I am buying the other one now.  I think it is like one that Andy had posted here (tall and knobby). 
 :thup: 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
Rose: 

Birks is a possibility. They have started selling Murano again, BTW.  A bit beyond my budget, though. Eaton's is a possibility and there was a store in Vancouver that sold a wide range of European glass.

Also, if you're wondering if you're paying too much, do a search on UK eBay for Skrdlovice.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand