No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Octagonal aventurine bowl and underplate - help on maker &year/era please  (Read 2971 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The underplate for this octagonal bowl arrived this morning.  I think they are a set.  I think the bowl is handblown rather than mould blown, it has a roll of glass applied to the base for a foot and applied teardrops on each angle. Snapped off pontil mark on each piece.
So far from reading other threads on here,  my thoughts are Salviati for CVM maybe or CVM late1800's/early 1900's.  Am I in the right area or way off beam here please?  I found another goblet that has the same applied teardrops and octagonal shape but different colourway, but so far that is all I've managed to find.
Thanks for any help :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've just found an entire set in ruby and gold (12 of everything all octagonal with teardrops) same bowl and underplate, so I do think they are a match - id'd as Salviati 1920's.  However on another site I found an octagonal goblet, different colourway, id'd as CVM 1900/1910 - Maybe Salviati produced this design for CVM?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Is yours aventurine (copper) or is it gold? The photo background makes it very difficult to tell

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm attaching the best pics I can to show the subtle 'splotchiness' but I'm pretty sure it isn't mica or gold leaf and I feel pretty sure it is clear glass rolled in shards of aventurine.  Hope these help and thanks for looking  :)
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Very Pretty -- see IF I can dig up anything here.  Not sure of maker -- but I like it  :thup:  :hiclp:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Rose  :kissy:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The link to this absolutely gorgeous ruby set is here .  I'd just love to have that on my dining table :mrgreen:

http://eliseabramsantiques.com/glass/complete-services/salviati-hand-blown-venetian-ruby-octagonal-stemware-service-12-72-pieces

m

Offline tam bam

• Members
Both yours and the last link you showed are both great sets.   Yours does have that Salviati look.

tam bam 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Tam bam, I wonder if that set is signed or labelled.  I'm pretty sure the bowl and plate in that set is identical to mine in design but not decor.  I'd quite like a whole set of the aventurine ones....  ::) something else to collect  ;D
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Both yours and the last link you showed are both great sets.   Yours does have that Salviati look.

tam bam 

Hope you can get a Positive ID as that would be  :thup: and yes, A whole set of those would be Y-U-M-M-Y !!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand