No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Bowl?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Isle of Wight Bowl?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
Hi,
I bought this bowl from an auction house who attributed it as Isle of Wight Studio Glass.  I had it listed as such on ebay when a fellow ebayer queried it so I've withdrawn it as I don't want to mis-sell.  I'd value the thoughts of the glass message board community if you recognize it or not please?  (Its a lovely piece with an irridescent rim).  It has a small rough pontil.  The bowl is 24.5cm (9 5/8") in diameter and 7.5cm (3") high.
Thanks very much.
Marie.

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: Isle of Wight Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
Hi,
Ron at www.artiusglass.co.uk will give a definate yes or no as to whether it is IOW.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »
Hello Marie

I saw your listing when it first went on ebay and although I don't recognise it from any named IOWSG pattern or shape, it does look a good quality piece. There are quite a few top quality glassmakers on the Isle of Wight so it's quite likely that it is an Isle of Wight piece just not from Isle of Wight Studio Glass.  Try a search on Alum Bay Glass and Glory Art Glass for starters, there are more but I can't think of their names at the mo.

Hope this helps

Suzy x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
I think there is a distince possibility that is is Isle of Wight Studio Glass. (Looks a bit like Summer Fruits, Cranberry.) This is a shape of bowl produced, although not as a standard part of production.
I don't know if any bowls have been made in Summer Fruits, but it's a highly successful range which has been on the go for a long time.

I think most of the bowls I've seen are possibly a bit more shallow, but I've not seen many.

However, I have some reservations.

It there an iridesence on the surface?
Is that the strange cloudy effect I see on the rim in the pic?
I can't work that bit out at all, and don't know if it's something which is saying it's not IoWSG after all, or just an artifact of the picture.

If the lustre on it is bright and pretty and sparkly pastelly multicoloured, it's more likely to be Heron glass.

If it's duller and deeper in tone, more sophisticated, IoWSG is more likely.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:28 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  It's great to have some help with this.  In answer to Sue's post, it does have irridescence on the surface which is quite subtle and hard (for me) to photograph.  I've attached another file to show this a bit more.  It show's up against the blue, against a white background it just looks cloudy with my lighting.
Thanks,
Marie.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Thanks for that. I'm inclining more to Heron glass for this piece. IoWSG Summer Fruits has long thin strands of coloured enamels as well as the splodgy bits, and there are more colours too.
I'm afraid I know very little about Heron Glass. I believe they "went under" only recently.

Sorry, I don't think it's IoWSG. You could try asking on the Studio's own forum though, just to be sure. It's free.

Main site homepage:-

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/

Forum:-

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/SMF/index.php
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Hi,
I'll try the Isle of Wight forum as you suggest - thanks for the link.  I'm more familiar with the Heron Glass paperweights with pretty irridescence, and they certainly do/did some good glass.  I noticed their website was unavailable a couple of months ago but am sorry to hear they went under.
Many thanks for your help,
Marie.

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »
Link

Have a look about halfway down the page.

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
Hi Mike,
I've had a look at your link (thank you for your replys to my post) and I'm not sure that it's an English Antique Glass product.  They do irridescence, and similar foot shapes, but can't see anything with as fine a rim or the delicate swirls on mine?  It's a possibility but I don't think a cert.  I forwarded the link for this post to Artius Glass following your first post so that may also shed light.
Best Regards,
Marie.

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi Marie.
The item I was guiding you to was the pink bowl/vase the decoration seemed to be the same as yours.
Dont get carried away with their name as its all modern glass. Alot of it looks like Ditchfield or Neo which is an ex employee of Ditchfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand