No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for possible Czech. vase. ID = Libochovice #3063  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for possible Czech. vase. ID = Libochovice #3063
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
Probably too much of a long shot really  -  just that I thought it didn't look very English, and wud have liked it to have been something from the pressed section of Mark Hill's book (can't see it tho.).    Cud, of course, be from anywhere.   Doesn't have a real 'bird bath base, but certainly not a star cut bottom.     about 200mm tall.    Anyone care to take a punt at attribution, and thanks for looking.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: id request for possible Czech. vase.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
Paul,
very nice and interesting base - never seen!
Certain similarity however with the drawing of # 13182/205 on page 17 of Rudolfova 1986 of Marcus' book CD ?

:-\
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »
thanks Pamela  -  the only book I have on Czech. material is Mark Hill's fairly recent book 'Hi Sklo Lo Sklo'  -  and I assume you are referring to 'Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass by Marcus Newhall'.    In which case I now have another one to get ;D

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
Paul, as said: only similar, please.

www.sklounion.com : The book is halfpriced meanwhile - recommend you grab your copy too  :thup:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
thanks  -  I do understand, and appreciate details of the half price offer  -  will grab a copy pronto.    cheers

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
Pamela  -  my sincere thanks for your previous input, but think I have now found a positive id for this clear vase.   Having finally found the time to view the cd accompanying Marcus's book, believe I am correct in saying this is design No. 3063 on page 5 - Libochovice Glassexport before 1958 (fourth catalogue down in the menu).   The height matches, and the simplistic design is rather obvious.    This is not, however, the item that you suggested as a possibility, so would appreciate if you are able to reconfirm for me.     As the data says........."before 1958 - but exactly when I don't know.    My thanks as always for your time and help.    Paul S.
Reference:   "Sklo Union - Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass - Marcus Newhall - 2008.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »
I think you're right Paul and that the one Pamela suggested has only a passing resemblance.  Your ground base is far earlier than 1986 just for a start.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
The interesting base of your vase corresponds to the drawing of the bowl 3064 next to it!  :thup:

This pattern does not yet appear in their 1939 catalogue, would say post-WWII then - nice one!

Pamela

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »
sincere thanks to both of you for your time and effort.     Would agree that the base pattern is both unusual and attractive - so many designers seem to have lacked a sense of imagination when it came to bottoms - probably thinking that 'out of sight is out of mind'.   O.K. we will agree post 1945.   Now that I have the feeling for these things, I will start looking at one or two more that I have, and thanks again. :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:29:34 PM »
Those kind of coggy bases often mean that bowls and vases fit together to make comports

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand