No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Clear and Green Lamp Archimede Seguso?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Large Clear and Green Lamp Archimede Seguso?
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
I am building up quite a collection of Murano lamps mostly A. Seguso. This is my latest purchase and my first from Design and Arts. They stated that it is A.S. and I take their word for it as they do know what they are talking about but it has no label and I have never seen this design before.

It was about 2" taller than it is now, I thought the lip was too thin, about 1/8" and it could be broken whilst handling it so I had it cut down and a brass top made for it.

Am very happy with it and it certainly 'looks the goods'. I am on the look out for a mid century style shade for it.

It is 30cm high to top of the glass and it has the channel and hole at the bottom of the glass for the cable to run through so it was originally designed as a light.

It has some mist left in the top as I washed it about an hour before fitting the electrical bits.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Large Clear and Green Lamp Archimede Seguso?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
My opinion on this ardy that it is A.S. The green and amber colouring looks right to me along with the shape of it. It is a shame though that you had it cut down. If you do sell this eventually I would be sure to mention this just for accuracy. If someone was trying to match up to make a pair they would notice the wrong height on it. Was it from the store or ebay? If you don't mind me asking.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
The color combination is known as "ambra e verda" if I remember correctly. Archimede Seguso is famous for the color combination. These colors remind me of their macchie glass, so I am pretty sure your attribution is right.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
Hi Kane - I bought it from ebay and I think it was one of those items that got underbid as happens on ebay occasionally when someone thinks they are going to get a bargain. Still it was a basic glass with no fittings and it took me some work and expense at the engineers to turn it into a lamp, so maybe that was what put some of the bidders off.

I was VERY reluctant to cut it down but it was so thin at the top anyone picking up the lamp by the fitting would have broken it.

Anita - thanks for the description of the colour combination, where did you get that information from? I only ask as I went through a couple of books I have and did an extensive search on the internet but came up with nothing?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:35:58 AM »
Kane, I can't remember where I heard it first, but I googled Seguso ambra verde and got a few things. My favorite is http://www.artnet.com/artwork/425954855/425931555/lot-126-macchia-ambra-verde.html.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
Amazing bowl anita, many thanks for the link on that one! I could imagine a place on the shelf with that one.

Suppose it was probably for the best ardy. Better to have a resized piece than a piece in numerous fragments. Although you might want to cut down on the lamp purchases ardy. Electricity prices go up in July!  ;)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »
I am trying to aid the global warming community by increasing my carbon footprint - regardless of expense.

They need it at the moment.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand