No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New website on Australian glass.  (Read 14393 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
New website on Australian glass.
« on: September 07, 2004, 11:38:05 AM »
http://ozcrowncrystal.tripod.com

I've been half-heartedly working on this website for years, but it suddenly became known to Google so I've had to hurriedly bring it up to scratch. It is still really in draft form.

Please feel free to comment, advise and criticise.

I'm interested in just how far I should go in terms of references. Most of the data I've worked with comes from catalogues and the like, some word of mouth histories (which I've learnt to take with a pinch of salt...) and archival material. If it were a scientific paper, every sentence would be referenced, but I don't feel that that level of reference is appropriate for a website, particularly when it involves some intellectual property and protection of my research (which is only beginning). What do other people think?

Cathy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
"Free" webspace
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:40:33 PM »
Hi Cathy,

See my reply to topic "Trying to identify these patterns" of last Sunday.   Not everyone is as tolerant as Frank, and there must be many who cannot match his expertise and his defences against such obnoxious invasive intrusions.

My warmest, Bernard C. 8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Tony

New Web Site
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 08:41:55 PM »
Hi Cathy
Congratulations on new web site, looking good so far, If I can help in anyway, I have some piece's of glass in the patterns you show, other shapes, you are welcome to photos, I have ID a few more pieces that hve been buging me for quite some time.
Looking forward to the next episode!!
Tony H in NZ.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 01:21:54 PM »
To be honest, I'm not sure how far I want it read outside Australia. It only takes one enthusiastic overseas collector to push up prices enormously, and then our heritage, such as it is, goes off overseas!

This has happened with carnival glass - and, believe it or not, it happens with the little Allens jelly bean moneyboxes (made by Australian Glass Manufacturers Co. Ltd). A book written in America claimed it to be extraordinarily rare and worth some ridiculous price (I think circa $US 150 or something else ludicrous). Ever since, a very nice Texan chap has purchaced every single Allens money box that has appeared on Australian eBay. Of course, this guy has every right to buy whatever he wants, and he is lovely, but it is a little distressing to see it happen. While not quite on the Elgin Marbles scale, it still hurts...:)

Cathy.

Tony

Deco Vase
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 09:57:30 PM »
Cathy
Have a look at this link, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Decovase2.jpg of a vase in the Deco pattern, I think, but unlike yours this one has a round base, and the pattern is opposite way round to your green piece on your web site, it is 61/8" high and has a 3" base, the top is also 3" in diameter.
Cannot be sure from your photo, is your green piece quite large.

Tony.

Cathyb

Tony & David
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »
Hi David - could you post me that line of code? :) my email is cathyb@N-O-S-P-A-M-netspeed.com.au

Tony - Sorry it's taken so long to reply.

That particular pattern has turned out to be another which was copied. It's a long story. Most collectors believed that anything with that pattern "Deco" or "Wave on wall" was made by Crown Crystal, and I just assumed because everyone said it was, that it must be so. Culpa mea! Looking at the documents I have, the vase illustrated is yours, 6.5", with a round base and a larger pattern-free panel at the top.

The vase on the website is not in these documents at all. It doesn't mean that they didn't make it, but it does raise questions, especially given that the Australians were copying wildly in the 1930s.

The story is that some of these vases have turned up with the Crown Crystal label. But this is heresay, and I don't know which of the vases did and which didn't, because the collecting fraternity here has just assumed that anything in that pattern is Crown Crystal.

In short, I *believe* at this point that your vase is Australian, and that the one illustrated on my website is not, and have amended the text to that effect.  Once people start copying other people, tracing provinance becomes very difficult - the Americans are so far ahead of us here!

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Deco Vase
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:40:24 AM »
Hi Cathy
Thank you for your reply, makes interesting reading, you can if you wish copy my photo and put it on your web page for collectors to compare.

Crown Crystal with labels, I have a small dish with lid, which has a label inside.

Tony H.

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 07:55:50 AM »
Hi Cathy
Here is a link to another Yahoo photo album I have just put together on Crown Crystal Glass.

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tony554nz/album?.dir=bdd6&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%

I have used your web site for Catalogue # and names ( thank you hope that is OK ) I would be greatful for your comments.

Tony H in NZ

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:57:09 AM »
Hi Tony - it all looks in order to me. I'll check my catalogues to get the precise numbers for you. The first two digits tend to be the series number (i.e. pattern number), with the second two identifying the individual piece.

Cheers,
Cathy

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 01:55:25 AM »
Hi Tony

The actual pattern numbers are the following:

26 series "Panels and Diamonds":

Handled sugar - I can't find any sugars in my refs! I'm fairly certain this one is Crown, but you'll have to say 26 series.

Covered butter - is #2640 "Butter & cover"

Small fruit - is #2662 "Toed salad"

Handled comport - Is mentioned, but not pictured, in Gary Workman's pattern sheets, but there is no number, so you just have to call it 26 series 2 handled comport.

Handled celery - likewise mentioned and not pictured, so it has to be called a 26 series handled celery.

29 Series "Petaloid"

Comport - either 8 inch or 10 inch - both #2970

Creamer - 2960

Sugar - 2935

(I note you have 39 - which must mean that there's a typo on my site! Thanks for that!)

45 Series"Diamonds and Fans"

There's some question over whether this pattern actually is Australian, because there are only 4 shapes, and they are such a fussy pattern for Australian glass. I believe they were made locally because they turn up in the right colours, but I wonder whether perhaps the moulds were imported?

Two handled comport - #4578

This is a great piece though, and not particularly common.

Hope this is of some help,

Cathy.

(refs: Australian Glass Pattern Sheets, Gary Workman 1994
Australian Depression Glass, Ken Arnold 2004
Original catalogues)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand