No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Erik Hoglund vase - some questions  (Read 2462 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Erik Hoglund vase - some questions
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Can anyone tell me what year/period this vase was produced please?  From my searching would it be 60's or 70's?  and when he was working with Boda?
I bought this thinking it was going to be bright blue (the photo was really dark), not my favourite colour but I love the shape of this vase.  I had a lovely surprise when it arrived and was actually a dirty lilac.  That said... I am not imagining it (all my purple glass seems to change colour in my house ::)) but it does go steel grey in the evening lighting.  Does anyone else have one in this colour and the same thing happen?
Also no matter how much I tried to photograph the lilac shade the best photo I could get was this one in the rain.  All the others inside make it look grey.
Thanks for any help  :)
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Erik Hoglund vase - some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
Erik Höglund biography here.

Lovely colour, probably designed late 50s or early sixties, no idea how long they were made for. In the evening the blue wavelengths in light tend to be scattered more and the red wavelengths are more prominent so I would guess it may look more purple then. Different kinds of electric light can have varying effect too.

It is possible to change the white balance on some cameras for different light conditions, to give a  better representation of colour. Check the manual for what options you may have and how to bend the camera to your will. ;D If you don't have a manual for your camera they usually can be downloaded (search using the make and model no of your camera).

Here's one in dark blue, scroll down just below the blue plate.

John

Mmm, not sure that colour change explanation is correct.  :D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
thank you John  :)

I had seen the blue ones - I might have been slightly disappointed had it arrived that colour I have to say, but my gamble paid off :o.
The glass has the opposite effect to your explanation  ;D  at night by electric light it goes steel grey but in daylight it is that beautiful dirty lilac colour.  Given the difficulty I had photographing it, I'm not surprised their pic made it look dark blue to be honest.  Thanks for the dates, that's great.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
If your electric lights are low energy lights then it may be neodymium glass.

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
Hi Flying free or M did you buy that from me ? i sold an identical one in the last couple of months . stgeorgio.2007
 nice init ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
Hi jp

No, twasn't from you.  And yes it's a gorgeous vase.
I wonder do you remember if  yours changed colour in electric light?
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
Yes it did , in some light it looked lilac and other light looked gunmetal grey and i believe thats how i described it .
It drove me mad as i do have a slight problem with some colours so i am glad to hear it wasnt me . :thup:  :huh:

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Heres the same vase with a lable if that helps anyone with a more precise dating.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
Many thanks Martyn  :)
I will have another look around and see if I can find any more information.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand