No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Retro Jug/Vase - Help please!!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
Retro Jug/Vase - Help please!!
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »
I got this extraordinary vase at a carboot quite a while ago. I have searched it in Google but no matches found. From spout to base is 31cm. From the base stand to the highest point which reaches the top of the handle is 30cm. The stand diameter is 14cm. Does anybody know who made this Jug/Vase and if possible the age of it. Thank you  :)
Never a truer word spoken in jest

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Retro Jug/Vase - Help please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »
Hi Madame Medusa,
its an interesting jug/vase, i would also be interested in its origins.
It appears yellowish in the photos, is that right, or just camera effect?
Cheers
Andy
ps welcome to the board  :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »
Thank you Andy, i think it is just the effects from that lately because normally it is fully clear with no colour. Thanks again  :D

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
Given the lack of design applied to this piece, I doubt that this is something that was intended for production.

My best guess is that this is something created by a glass blower practising their techniques (i.e. application of feet and handles) before being allowed to turn out produce for the shop floor.

It may be possible to track down the factory where the item was produced if anyone can recognises the form of the 'jug'. I suspect that we are dealing with a post-war English company such as Whitefriars or Dartington.

Someone with better knowledge than myself may be able to recognise the jug-form and identify the factory.
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »
Thank you David Hier, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully you may make it much easier to find the identification of this jug. Out of curiosity, can you tell me why you think it may possibly be Whitefriars or Dartington? Thanks for your help:) To add to the information of the jug, it weighs 1.8kg (approx. 4lb) and the jug can also stand upright but looks quite odd.  I am still trying to find out through other sources about this jug. At the moment I am pulling at straws. :-[

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »
The jug body is modern in design (typical of glass produced during the 50s, 60s and 70s) and Whitefriars and Dartington were two of the main manufacturers during this period.

The design of the jug body is however pretty generic, so any number of manufacturers could be responsible. If you start by looking at Whitefriars and Dartington and rule them out, then that will help to narrow down the list of potential manufacturers.

The jug can stand on its base (as well as the foot) because that is how I suspect the proper design would have functioned/appeared i.e. a simple jug form with an applied handle.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
I would rule out W/Fs .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
and Dartington

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
I understand how you think it was made for practice but it looks like it was made to be perfected (intentionally). The reason why I am saying this is that the stem is positioned in such a way to balance the jug. If you imagined a line through the middle of the opening of the jug, it is clear to see that the handle lines up with the stem of the base. Everything is central.  You will have to excuse me if i have not explained this in the correct terms as I am new to all of this.  I am not going to rule out that it may be an experiment though. Thank you for all of your information. I just do hope that somebody would be able to recognise this and provide a specific maker.  ;D

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »

The reason why I am saying this is that the stem is positioned in such a way to balance the jug. If you imagined a line through the middle of the opening of the jug, it is clear to see that the handle lines up with the stem of the base. Everything is central.

If the foot was applied first, then obviously a trainee would be expected to position it so that the jug balances. The addition of the handle wouldn't make much difference to the balance.

The reason I keep coming back to the 'practice' explanation is the fact that the handle and foot are a clear mismatch; they are completely out of character with base shape of the jug.

If this were a production piece, then another way to identify it would be the 'hammer' handle. It's an unusual design and I haven't seen anything like it before. Similarly I haven't seen a foot applied in such an awkward manner either. If someone else can find a similar example then you may be on the way to making an identification.

When it comes to some of the more outlandish Victorian glass, or scientific or industrial glass instruments, there are some parallels, but the main shape of the jug doesn't fit that possibility.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand