No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown black and yellow vase, 30s? 50?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Unknown black and yellow vase, 30s? 50?
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »
I'm not quite sure where to put it. I think it's German or somewhere in that region, but I'm not sure about the time period. It has a bit of an art-deco-ish feel to it, I'm not sure how old it is. Anywhere between 1920s and 1960s would be possible? It has some age to it, it's definitely not a new vase. If it's older than 1950s, I hope someone with a bit more knowledge of pre-war glass can help me pin it down somewhat.

The outer finish looks look like it has seen better days (which might indicate it wasn't very high quality to start with?). The decoration is applied in a very thin layer, but that has been scratched away in places. There are lots of signs of use in the interior and at the base. The previous owner said he bought it in Germany, so it might hail from those parts originally.

It's not exactly my normal area of interest, but I liked the striking design, even if the quality wasn't quite there.  And because I had a nagging feeling I've seen something similar, but I can't recall where or what or where to begin looking.

It's fairly big, 30 cm high, 13 cm across at the widest point, 5 cm across at the rim itself.

As usual, any speculation on time, origin, factory, etc, is more than welcome,

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unknown black and yellow vase, 30s? 50?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
It's like the 1930s spritz decor that was used on ceramics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand