No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help please poss ysart ?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline nwc

• Members
help please poss ysart ?
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »
Hi all

New to the board could anyone help me with identification of these two paperweights im not a collector they were passed on to me so i have no idea i say ysart as browsing the web i have seen some like the bubble one but it has no marks or letter canes.Any help would be appreciated thank you.

kind regards nwc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nwc

• Members
Re: help please poss ysart ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
two more pictures one of the underside which is a purple colour

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nwc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
paperweight number two

Offline nwc

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
more pics

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
hello,the first weight I don't know,the second looks like a Scottish one but you'll have to 'weight' for one of the experts to get a proper attribution,
                                                                                                                                                                                 Keith.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
I think both are Scottish, the first one looks like it could be Caithness, the second maybe Vasart/Strathearn.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:23 AM »
Hi nwc, welcome to the Board.

It's best to use separate posts to discuss different items, otherwise replies can get quite confused. As a moderator I could split them out, but I'll leave things as they are for now.

As for Id - yes, both Scottish.

As Alexander has said, the Harlequin design (with the bubbles over coloured bits) could be Caithness Glass - except that I don't think Caithness Glass versions had that type of purple ground on which the part canes and chips were set. I think it is a regular Harlequin out of Paul Ysart's 1970s period. Lots were made and many were signed with an H cane, or a PY cane, but many were unsigned.

The other one, with the Spoke pattern, is very likely, as Alexander said, Vasart Ltd (1956 to 1964) or Strathearn Glass (1965 to 1980). These Spoke weights were routine daily produce for all of the years that Vasart Ltd, which became Strathearn Glass, existed and was a follow-on of the same design of earlier Ysart work.

See my web pages (click my web link button to the left) for several examples.

KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »

I fully agree with Kev regarding this particular harlequin, but there are quite a few around that are not as tidy, and have rather thinner or less colourful spatter bases, and varying numbers of bubbles.  These are not Scottish, but come from Northern Europe (Belgium, Alsace, France, 'Bohemia' too) and date anywhere from the late 19th C to the present day.

I strongly suspect that the use of the design by Paul Ysart derives in some way from Salvador Ysart, who would no doubt have seen these harlequin weights (and 'spider' weights, and sulphides) when he worked in France before the First World War. Maybe Paul saw these too?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline nwc

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi both

Thank you both for your very informative replys a great help pleased the first weight is poss ysart Harlequin.So two quite intresting paperweights if i were to sell these paperweights any ideas on value ?.
I'd like to thank you for a very intresting site too very informative on the subject of glass look forward to posting more item.

kind regards neil

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »
Hi Neil

Prices are difficult to predict with any confidence, but if I were selling these (auction house or eBay) I would be disappointed if I did not get £80 - £120 for the Harlequin, and £15 - £20 for the Strathearn. You might well get more, but it all depends upon what happens on the day!

Now if you had been selling 3 or 4 years ago.....

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand