No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Blue Day  (Read 7054 times)

Offline David555

• Members
A Blue Day
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:02 AM »
Tiger

Do you mean yours has 'Glass Works' on the base?

It certianly looks the same as mine, my research is telling me that this is Scottish glass and very short lived as Adam A suggests

MMM I would prefer it if they were Fratelli Toso though :shock:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

A Blue Day
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:25:54 AM »
Tiger -

Is your vase with the white stripes dichroic glass?  Does it change colors in different light?

I had a vase of similar form with 3 opalescent internal stripes.  The outside with a thistle cutting (sure fits the Scottish idea).  It just had initials on the bottom.  I never was able to identify it.  I sold it but kept images and have been meaning to post it to the board.

I am traveling again for business but when I return home I will try to find the images and post them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Blue Day
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 09:08:09 PM »
The mark on my vase is signed Glass works. At least that's what I think it says. The word "works" looks a bit funny on mine. :)

It isn't dichroic glass. Shot in the dark but could your vase be Caithness with the initial's CG?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Blue Day
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 02:14:22 AM »
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
A Blue Day
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 09:08:32 AM »
I guess that one on WF.com has a Bohemia Glass sticker?

I've got three of these, and they're BIG!!

They're not great glass, but BOY!  They look simply fabulous with a whole string of fairy lights curled up inside them!  Anyone with one should try it.

:D  :D
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
A Blue Day
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »
As long as the fairy lights aren't the ones that get HOT and could cause the glass to break!  :shock:
Leni

Offline David555

• Members
A Blue Day
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »
Hi Tiger

That is the same etched mark as mine - so at least there are two out there, maybe three LOL

The blue optical vase seems a variation on mine; I would guess that the Czech companies under the Sklo Union and other will have done 100s of these types of vases. Mine is not the best glass in the world either but it weighs 1.6k and the base rim is 0.45cm thick ground and polished. I would guess that the round vases of this type would have a design limitation on the thickness on the glass

I always think that for moulded glass Czech is consistent in standard :)

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Blue Day
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »
I forgot to mention that my amber vase has what looks like a cross on the bottom which I presume is a mould mark. It's not polished or anything.

Is there any chance that it might be Bischoff. I know very little about the company but i've just seen a similar coloured vase and the owner thinks it's Bischoff. It looks like it has the same mould mark on the bottom.

Sklounion

A Blue Day
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »
After some careful consideration, this may be a "Sklo Union" product.
With new research material having arrived, the significant phrase is "rucni lis, hutni tvarovano" hand-pressed, work-shop shaped. This has appeared with regard to several item descriptions.

In the case of this piece, it would have been formed initially by manual pressing in the mould, hence the regimented base pattern, then the top worked whilst still hot.

regards,

Marcus

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Blue Day
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:20 PM »
Thank you Le Casson.  :D

By the way, feel free to borrow any of my pictures from Yobunny. I don't have many Sklo Union items at the moment but i'm working on it.  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand