No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Iittala/Nuutajarvi (?) Vase - Kaj Franck (?)  (Read 1757 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Huge Iittala/Nuutajarvi (?) Vase - Kaj Franck (?)
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
This lovely but highly impractical, thin glass vase reminds me of Iittala in color and perfection of production, but I cannot find anything exactly like it in my small reference library or online.  Could anyone please help me identify the maker, designer and vintage?

Thanks,
Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Huge Iittala/Nuutajarvi (?) Vase - Kaj Franck (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
For a better sense of the piece's size, here it is shown alongside last night's dinner :):

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
I'm a newbie in this (glass) disease   8) so certainly one of these experts know better.

However, I would find a certain resemblance to Iittala blue grey tone and shape too, actually, Timo Sarpaneva famous i-series of year 1956.
(btw, the one for which he designed the red "i" -brand mark ...)  ::)

The bowl in the middle of this picture shows much of the same form to me.
http://suomenmuseotonline.fi/en/kohde/Designmuseo/022190%3a022190%3a1+(dia)?freetextSearch=sarpaneva&itemIndex=1

I guess most of the ones as large as yours would be broken by now. (either by accident or on purpose for its impracticality...  :-\ )

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
I'm not sure. If it can be shown in the Hintakirja no problem of course - but it is a bridge too far for me to assume that anything that looks like finnish in indeed finnish. There has been an important production of similar designs in Bavaria, in Leerdam and in Belgium.  Too many options to say anything definite, methinx.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand