No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An 'Italian' Saint Louis? ID = SL 1954  (Read 8869 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: An 'Italian' Saint Louis?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Hi all

I can go one better than Roys suggestion - I was over at Normans today and took the opportunity to dig into his comprehensive dossier on modern St Louis.

The E-bay weight is definitely a 1954 St Louis and compares very favourably with this 1955 concentric which was auctioned elsewhere. Norman apologies for the poor picture !

The date cane is constructed differently but I checked other weights from 54/55 and identified at least 5 different styles of date cane. The date cane in this 1955 weight is at 2 o'clock in the second concentric ring out from the centre cane.

Best regards

Derek

Mod: An image was attached, but was a personal research copy (with a personal annotation) taken from an entry in a Boisgirard et AssociƩs auction listing. This showed a weight with the same pattern and same style canes as the eBay one discussed. See update below, as at Mar 2010, for images of the one discussed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: An 'Italian' Saint Louis?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
Many thanks to (in order of appearance): Alexander, Alan, Roy, Andy, Kevin, Derek and Norman for your research, effort and replies.

I am now totally convinced that it is a St Louis weight.

I am sorry for the wild goose chase but I just could not believe that SL had ever produced such weak..ish work before. Just put it down to Gallic pride (Aah! yes, you have a 'grenouille' in your midst). ;D

Thanks again to you all.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: An 'Italian' Saint Louis? ID = SL 1954
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:49:27 PM »
For confirmation, and with good photos, the eBay weight discussed has a "SL 1954" cane but the "4" is certainly not easy to read without a good close-up view.

Whether people consider the weight to be of poor or good overall quality is a matter of personal opinion. Looking at the set up of the canes, it can be seen that there are seven "inner cane spokes" which are not evenly spaced, and there are only six "outer cane spokes", all of which does not make geometric symetry.

However, in the main, the nature of the pattern is well formed and the bed of latticino is nicely set. The outer canes are well selected with six repeating groups of six different canes. Also, the clear dome is very good with no striations or devitrification and only a couple of very tiny air bubbles. From the side view, it is seen that there are no bubbles amongst the canes and the curve of the cane layer is very even. The only obvious side view "glitch" is that the underside of the canes have been squashed outwards at the edges giving a slightly untidy look.

Images by current owner, size reduced and optimised by me, included with permission.
Top View
Side View
Base View
Signature Cane
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand