No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fish with an Added Label  (Read 1855 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Fish with an Added Label
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:18:15 AM »
I am always interested in Salviati animals. This one caught my attention: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120536393933. It had a label. Then I saw the concentric circles on the base and knew it was one of the "Lavorazione Arte Murano" pieces. Why would someone ruin a perfectly good Salviati label?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Fish with an Added Label
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
What a shame. :cry:

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
The sadder thing is that a couple of people bid. I'm glad to see it didn't go for a Salviati price, especially given the cost of shipping. eBay shoppers seem to be pretty savvy right now. It takes more than a fake signature or label to fool most of them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
I wonder whether it tends to be the wannabe small time dealers who get caught thinking they might have found a bargain.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »
It could be, Cathy. I know I have bought a few bargain pieces in my day that made excellent birthday presents for people.

I looked at the history and items listed by the seller of the fish. I don't see anything malicious, so he/she may just be passing something on as she received it. That happens quite a bit. The other day I saw a piece being sold by a fairly new person that had "A. Beorbini" written on bottom. It is the way one of our favorite dremel demons signs his "Barbini" pieces. It was really a Seguso piece if I remember correctly. The seller probably thought that she had found something very good that she was passing along. It was a nice piece, but it had been ruined, IMO, by adding the scratches on bottom. (I'll try to find the auction if it is still available.)

At least a label is removable without having to polish it out. And even with shipping, the buyer of the fish paid little more than it would cost retail. I hope that we don't see this fish being offered again and again on eBay.

Added a few minutes later: I found one "Barbini" piece with a forged signature. It is a gray effect dolphin that looks like it was made by Formia (maybe Nason). Barbini didn't do these type pieces. The eBay listing is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310190657185. The seller has a couple of other Barbini signatures in his recent listings. The listing I saw the other day had this same signature -- a good one to learn to avoid.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGUSO-MURANO-ART-GLASS-AVENTURINE-BOWL-1960s-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ310209575051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4839ee788b

Anita, this guy arravan1 sells a lot of items with what look like falsified signatures*, most of the stuff he sells, Barbini seguso Venini,
is all signed !! His feedback history is amazing, and all the buyers seem happy  :hb2:

Definitely to be avoided!!!!
And, he gets big prices!!

:hb2:

Mod: Sorry Andy! *Section in red edited to conform with Board Policy, which states the following:

•If you wish to draw attention to an on-line auction which you consider to be ‘not as described’ you may provide a link to the auction but you should only state that “in my opinion this piece has not been described correctly.” Or, for example, in the case of a signature that you feel is incorrect “the signature does not appear to be genuine.”  It would also be advisable to ask if others have any opinion. Do not state anything is a fact, unless you can provide documentary proof!
•If it is felt that a posting is taking an unfair position in respect of a person selling on an on-line auction the posting will be removed or edited to remove bias.
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
I've noticed a couple of his birds were resold on eBay. These birds had the correct signature on bottom, but they were still forged. His stuff is mixing in with the general glass now and more pieces that he offers for sale have what in my opinion are false signatures*. I'm sure many people have approached eBay about him. All we can do is not buy and maybe keep pictures of the fakes so we'll know to avoid them if they start making the rounds on eBay or in the stores.

I wonder how much harm is done if the signature is the correct one. I don't like the idea of forgery, but I know many pieces have been written on by store employees and others. There are some artists who sign their own work, so I wouldn't want forgeries of these. But for the Seguso companies, where anyone might have signed, maybe it's not so serious?? I am of mixed minds when it comes to the value of the forged piece.

Mod: *Red section edited to conform with Board Guidelines, as quoted in Andy's posts above. Sorry Anita! Let me know if you'd like to change the wording, within the Guidelines of course.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
Apologies, Mod, you are right of course.
fine as it is ;D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand