No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cambridge Willow ??  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Lane

• Members
Cambridge Willow ??
« on: November 19, 2005, 11:41:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to research this bowl that I have. I believe that it is Cambridge Willow and I understand it was made in 1926. I'd like to know more about it as I understand it may be quite rare?  I would also like to have a rough idea of value.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lane

Mod: Image gone, may be replaced at a later date.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

Cambridge Willow ??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 02:59:37 PM »
There is a plate pictured in Florence's Glassware Pattern ID Guide II which shows the Cambrige Willow pattern.  The outside motif seems to match yours from what I can see from your pictures (not very detailed).

He states the pattern is from 1926 does not mention it being made on pink.

I don't do values.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lane

• Members
Cambridge Willow ??
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:33 AM »
Thanks!  And no problem, I fully understand about the issue of values for all of the reasons stated.  I'm interested primarily in learning about what this is, because it seems to be rather obscure, and less about value, although I do want to know just how rare it might be.  I may sell it, I may not.... for now I just want to learn.  Any help is appreciated!

Connie

Cambridge Willow ??
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 11:40:04 AM »
Lane - this pattern has been on my mind all day.

While Cambridge did do some intricate patterns to me this large plate etch looks much more like the work of Lotus Glass Co also referred to as Lotus-Glastonbury.

Lotus Glass Co. never made a piece of glass and were strictly a decorating company.  One of their specialities were large, intricate patterns that were plate etched. Lotus bought from all the large elegant glass companies of the time including Cambridge.

I can't help but wonder if this pattern is not actually a Lotus pattern on a Cambridge blank which is why I can't find the pattern documented in the Cambridge catalogue reprint books that I have.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lane

• Members
Cambridge Willow ??
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:36:08 PM »
Connie,

This bowl is getting to be quite a mystery.......

Perhaps you're right about this, interesting.   The only image on the Replacement's Limited link you sent me was a willow-green and it looks similar, but maybe not the same.  I haven't looked up Lotus yet, but I will.

I appreciate your help on this - it would be interesting to pin this down!

Lane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand