No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Engraved Decanter  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Liz

• Members
Orrefors Engraved Decanter
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
This Orrefors engraved decanter is signed Orrefors ON (?) 2039.B8.G. After trying to decipher the signature, my best guess is that it was made in 1939. Please, can anyone decipher this signature and identify the engraver of this decanter? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Liz

Liz

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Orrefors Engraved Decanter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:35:32 AM »
You pictures are a little small, even looked at in Photobucket. Can you use the attach facility after resizing the originals so that the longest dimension is about 700 pixels please.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:00:50 AM »
Hi: 

The design was 1939. It's "N" at the beginning for Nils Landberg. I can't see the last letter very clearly but it looks like an "O" to me, which would make the engraver Oscar Landas. The stopper isn't the same shape as the one shown in the catalogue. How does it fit?

The engraving looks lovely, as does the decanter.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »
I agree. The stopper is not correct. It is used in later works including perfumes. The decanter also came with a engraved glass.
Bill Geary

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
Christine - My first resizing effort was an epic fail. In haste, I used Photobucket with equally bad results, I will try to fix this link.  :-[

David - Many thanks for sorting out the signature for me, the engraver was my focus. The stopper fits as it should but it sounds as if I need to be on the lookout for the original! :hiclp:

Bill - Thank you for the confirmation in regards to the stopper, would you by chance have a photo of the correct stopper and matching glass to this decanter? The odds are slim that I will find the glass however, I may stand a  chance of stumbling across the correct stopper.  ;D

Thanks again for all your help!
Liz

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
I found a picture of the correct stopper in Smoke and Ice, page 216. I also found the decanter that my stopper belongs to in The Best of Modern Swedish Art Glass, page 70. So, now it looks like I am in the market for both a decanter and a stopper! ;D

One other thing, now that it has been established that the engraver initial on my decanter is an "O", would that not make the engraver Ove Bjerding, instead of Oscar Landas? Or am I confused?  :huh:

Also, is it possible based on the Orrefors signatures, to determine what year the piece was engraved or is the range simply the engravers dates of employ ie. Oscar Landas (OL) 1922-1970 (minus the production year, of course.)?

Thanks so much for all of your help! :hug:
Liz

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
Liz:

You're right. It could be Ove Bjerding, as they're both were identified with an "O." I'm not sure how you would distinguish. Actual date of manufacture is also hard to pin down, as this decanter was made for some time.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
David - you are a star!

It is glaringly obvious (now that you have pointed it out to me) that the stopper is a marriage. I must have been blinded by the gorgeous engraving. Thanks to your good eye and my "glass" eye, I have given all of my decanters a second look - so far, so good!

Thank you! :fwr:
Liz

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »
the letter and number before the final O will tell you the year of manufacture, so B8 is 1951.

No idea how to differentiate between the two engravers though.

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Thanks Taylog!

Looks like there are at least two other decanters out there with the same stopper problem as mine...It's an epidemic! ;D

Ebay #'s
350333577726 and 320505267998

Liz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand