No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano curly dish  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Murano curly dish
« on: November 20, 2005, 01:33:55 AM »
I've seen this shape someware before but when I tried looking it up on the net I couldn't fine it anywhere. This might be because I don't know what it is. Is it a dish or something else?

It is double cased. The inner casing is white and the outer casing is amber.

There are bubbles present in the glass. Is this normal and acceptable for Murano?

Any clues to maker or any other comments appreciated. Thank's.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Murano curly dish
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:51:05 PM »
Hi Tigerchips,
Looks a Flygsfors shape.
Are they controlled bubbles?
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Murano curly dish
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:36:09 PM »
It does not look Scandinavian or Italian to me. The work is far too crude for Flygsfors. I'd vote fairly contemporary Mexican glass.

Laura

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Murano curly dish
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:30:57 AM »
Hi Laura,
Are they also doing this one, apart from the Pulegoso style pieces? wow.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
Murano curly dish
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »
Hi Javier,

I don't know for sure that this piece is Mexican (haven't seen it witha label), but the quality and color of the glass reminds me a lot of other Mexican glass I see here in LA.  There are many vendors at the flea markets here who offer booths full of Mexican glass - the little roosters that are all over ebay (sold as Murano), and weird vases that look like they were held upside down so that all the glass ran to the top.

Look at ebay item 7367528883 for a Mexican glass owl. Compare the look of the glass to the bowl.

Laura

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Murano curly dish
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 12:25:24 PM »
The bubble's are not controlled.

I have a habit of buying things that don't appear what they seem.

I bought a blue vase the other day and when I got it home I realised that it was just clear pressed glass with a thin layer of plastic moulded around it.  :lol:  :oops:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
Murano curly dish
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
Hi Tigerchips,

We all do it.  I wish I had a dollar for each glass mistake I've brought home.  On the flip side, it's how we learn.  

Laura

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand